Job prospects

Status
Not open for further replies.

beedubaya

Golden Master
I am getting ready to graduate this December with a BS in IT specializing in Networking. Problem is I am graduating from a community college with a not-so-hot IT program and in a very rural area where I haven't had a chance to get experience during college. I don't feel as competent as I should in this field. My only certification is the A+.

I have heard nothing but doom and gloom about the IT job market today. I fear that when you combine my lack of experience with my poor education and location in rural Arkansas, I will find it very difficult if not impossible to find employment in this job market. I definately plan on moving out of state, as I've had all I can take of this town.

Now my questions, is the IT market really as bad as some say? If so, then I will probably not be able to find employment in this industry. If so will my 4 year degree qualify me for any other jobs, maybe in a non-IT field?

Thanks for any replies.

Yes the IT job market is as bad as they say, bit it depends on where you live. Check out robert half technology, they are pretty good at finding jobs, and if you know where you are planning to move, you can get in touch with a recruiter there. They found me a somewhat permanent job within about 2 months. Admittedly they do take a pretty big cut, but if it gets you in the door, you just gotta deal with it.

I don't think you can really say the IT industry has a bad market. I mean think about it. The entire world is becoming digitized. The entire business process of every imaginable field will eventually be done through computer technology.

The only problem I found with IT is the barrier to entry for jobs. I don't know how many job interviews I had where they didn't hire me because "Sorry son you just don't have enough experience". So that's probably the worst aspect of it. The only thing you can do for that is start at the very bottom of the ladder and work your way up. Whether that be you starting your own business and getting your own experience, getting an unpaid or paid internship somewhere, or getting like a weekend or parttime job at big company and working your way up.

It really depends on your specific area of study or expertise. Network and information security is growing pretty fast.

I am not sure that the market itself is bad..more so people wanting experienced admins. I have been offered a few positions around my area and have NO degree and NO certs, 7+ years of professional hands on Info Tech experience. It seems to be competitive enough. There are plenty of places looking for people with tech degrees though. First figure out where you want to move to..or if you have no real destination in mind then look at jobs in large metropolian areas.

Here is an idea of a position a job seeker is trying to recurit me for just based on my currently level of experience. Just get your foot in the door somewhere doing even level 1 helpdesk or something..

Senior Network Administrator - Systems Admin - CCNA

Senior Network Administrator

Will relocate the right candidate!

Do you have at least 5+ years working as a Senior Level Network / Systems Administrator? If so please read on, you might be a good fit.

~ The Sr. Network-Systems Administrator installs and configures services on Windows-based servers which define the servers' purpose and function. This includes both enabling and configuring services as well as disabling services during server repurposing.
~ The Sr. Network-Systems Administrator provides monitoring and statistical information for the network devices, storage devices, servers and other devices used by their clients.
~ Responsible for server deployment and redundancy to support business growth
~ Creates programs using SNMP MIBs, VB Scripts, WMI calls, Shell Scripts and various Open Source resources to monitor production devices and send automatic email and phone alerts based on pre-defined Thresholds and network, system, service and WEB site errors.
~ Administrates software for internal use, including but not limited to SugarCRM (Customer Relations Management System), Subversion (Source control repository), Test Track Pro (Bug Tracker)

What you must have:
~ 5+ years experience with Windows 2003 or later Server Administration
~ 5 years LAN/WAN Experience using Firewalls, Switches and Routers
~ 5 years experience with Website deployment.
~ 3 years SNMP Experience preferably using OpenMNS
~ Proven ability to troubleshoot network related issues, Windows desktop and server hardware and software.
~ CCNP Preferred, CCNA considered
~ MCP certification preferred

What we have to offer:
~ Competitive Base pay
~ Stock options
~ Great benefits, 401k, flexible vacation

I don't think you can really say the IT industry has a bad market. I mean think about it. The entire world is becoming digitized. The entire business process of every imaginable field will eventually be done through computer technology.

The only problem I found with IT is the barrier to entry for jobs. I don't know how many job interviews I had where they didn't hire me because "Sorry son you just don't have enough experience". So that's probably the worst aspect of it. The only thing you can do for that is start at the very bottom of the ladder and work your way up. Whether that be you starting your own business and getting your own experience, getting an unpaid or paid internship somewhere, or getting like a weekend or parttime job at big company and working your way up.

I really have to agree here...This is how I made it in the industry..I got my foot in the door to a Gannett news paper as a weekend I.T. Operator..I think that was what my first title was anyway...anywho you slave through data entry and do basic helpdesk stuff...then you start learning from the other techs more advanced concepts...reading..studying..learning..practicing..they see this..move you over full time and keep promoting you :) at least this was my success story..hah..lead to a very well paying full time job in I.T. with a Systems Analyst title. Now I am going to focus on certs since I have some backing now.

Can I interject by saying, in rural areas it is very bad for us IT guys. You MUST move to a metro or you can not expect to get a job without experience. Either move there or commute there.

Yep, i was a lowly tech 1 working for a crappy school district in one of the poorest areas in texas. Finally quit my job and moved to denver colorado. Boy night and day difference. Admittedly im only a glorified help desk technician atm, but the people here are great and the environment is a lot of fun. Just need to hold out the last 3 months until the actual position is created so that im not losing 40% of my pay to the temp agency :(

Can I interject by saying, in rural areas it is very bad for us IT guys. You MUST move to a metro or you can not expect to get a job without experience. Either move there or commute there.

I have no problem moving, in fact i WANT to move, as quickly as possible (life is **** in rural areas for a single 20-something). However, I cannot move until I have landed a job. Moving without a job lined up is too risky, especially in a field as volatile as IT.

But yeah, I am not even going to try to find a job around here. It is about 200 miles in every direction from me to a metro (East: Little Rock, North: Tulsa, West: Oklahoma City, South: Dallas). Im hoping I can land a job in one of those places soon after I graduate without having to move first.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom