IT job

Status
Not open for further replies.
This will be highly subject to what part of IT specifically you are looking to get into along with the area you plan on living/working in. An IT Job based in a major city like Redmond where Microsoft is based is going to pay you a bit more than a small city like Buffalo, NY. So you have to give us an idea of where you plan on working and what part of IT you plan on getting into. IT is just a general field classification.

There is no "best" part and no way to determine a "decent" location. We dont know what your looking for when you consider a decent salary nor do we know what your looking for when you say best part. The best part is what you want to do. People are going to get paid a lot differently than you. For various reason. 1. They will not be fresh outta school. 2. They will have years of experience. At best you will get an entry level position and starter pay. Yet again depending on what company and where is going to determine you pay. Not a single person in the world can answer such a question cause there is no direct answer. You will get in the range of maybe $40-$60,000 per year. If you are extremely lucky and land with a great company. But I would not look for anything more than that for someone who will be fresh outta high school with no actual work field experience.

Fresh out of school 60k is pushing it. I can hire people here who are out of college for under 40k. Then again that's in Australia, I've heard wages aren't so high in the US though so IMO you might even expect less than that.

As Mak said it depends on the position. I'm not about to give any management position to someone with no practical field experience, if I was going to hire you I'd put you in an assistant position. Pay there might even be no more than 30k a year, but you're not there for the money. You're there for the experience. You can have as many bits of paper as you like, but unless I know you've got experience in the real world then I'm not going to put you in a high level position. Real world problems come up that don't affect virtual situations.

My advice would be try and land an assistant position underneath the position you're eventually wanting to get. Don't quibble about the pay, you can bring it up for review in six months usually. Once you've got one or two years experience with those certs, then you're in a great position to start leveraging for better pay/hours/etc. Because now there'll be other companies who'd be glad to have you on board. Demand increases, so does price :D

How much would you computer science software development major make fresh out... I have seen diffrent numbers not sure which ones right they are around 56- 68 thousand I think

The best I got for experiance is I mannage and maintain all the computer systems at my school(we are a smaller private prep school) grant it the teach/IT person helps me here and there but for the most part I do the majority of the work. And I setup and implamented and active directory domain for my school. Its not a lot but I am just going into 2nd year of highschool

As has been said already, it depends on what part of the world you're in. Here in the US different parts of the country will pay differently for the same job. There are factors such as cost of living and demand for that job in that area. For instance, in the silicon valley in Calif where I work there are lots of high tech companies that need IT staff but if I lived in central Calif where there's mostly agriculture, there would be fewer IT jobs and the pay would be less.

You people realy don't get it I want a genral answer. If you don't know going to answer my question what is the point of posting on this thread, especially if someone all ready provided the same informantion (which wasn't helpful because I am not an idiot and under stand the effect of location and field of IT).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom