ITT Tech?

Status
Not open for further replies.
No problem. If you have the option to travel, check with UAT to see if they have your major. It's a pretty awesome university from what I've heard.

I know so many people in computer drafting/autocad and they cant find a job anywhere. I hate to sound negative about a certain degree or program, but I am just being honest. I went for an orientation at ITT years ago and almost had a heart attack when they told me the cost.
There are several colleges much cheaper that will offer the same degrees they do. Or close to it.
I say go the cheapest route in todays market because the jobs are paying less and less everyday.

So far we've heard from two people who are currently attending but haven't yet graduated and marketed their "degree" to employers. Unfortunately, I know someone who went to ITT Tech and was never able to obtain a full-time professional position even before this recession.

The ITT Tech marketing machine is powerful. They'll convince you that it's the best investment you could make and that employers will be lining up to hire you. They'll also completely dismiss their lack of accreditation and tell you that it means nothing. I'm telling you that it means everything.

I know one person who graduated and one who's going. They're marketing machine is ****ing epic! They'll sell it to you like it's the world but it's incredibly expensive! One guy I worked with got an associates in network admin i believe. They were unable to find him a job at all, we were actually working for the same temp company and were on the same job together. I had no degree then myself but we were doing the same things, making the same money, and honestly I was better qualified for what we were doing than he was.

The other person is one of my mom's coworkers sons. I don't know what field he's going in to but they sold both of them the world and apparently they wanted the tuition money for that program up front, it was like $30k+ for the whole thing (took out a loan for it!) and it was nonrefundable if he wanted to switch schools or something. Credits, of course, do not transfer. I think the best he could get in Minnesota is the standard 16 credits and count as electives, which is almost worthless.

It's been my experience that it's all a lot of hype they create and their marketing people aren't actually career counselors, they have quotas to meet and make commissions out of signing up students. They'll tell you anything to get you in but once you get out the results seem unimpressive. I'm sure the education is fine since they're nationally accredited but I don't see any way of it being worth it.

My last Corporate America job was In-House Architect for a Large Home Builder in the SE. I needed to hire another Assistant so I placed an ad in the newspaper, The Florida Times Union. I had about a dozen prospects that were recent graduates of ITT Tech and none of them came close to being qualified.

My advise is to buy a Student Edition of AutoCad or even AutoCad LT. Buy a book on AutoCad, something like this will work. Amazon.com: AutoCAD 2009 & AutoCAD LT 2009 Bible (Bible (Wiley)): Ellen Finkelstein: Books
And get a job working in the Construction Field so you'll learn some basic design requirements.

Once you've learned the basic Autocad commands and you know things like, how wide a hallway needs to be in order to install a 2'6" door you'll be more qualified than an ITT Tech graduate.

Good Luck

They're not accredited. To be more precise, they're not accredited by the same organization that accredits reputable colleges and universities. They'll happily tell you that they are accredited. The problem is that the accreditation is worthless.

<<They're not accredited.>> wow, I did not know that. Then I would run as fast as you can the other way. Is Devry accreditied? They are not cheap either though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom