Issue with gathering more knowledge

luke127

The Ghost
Hey guys, most of the regulars probably know me, or of me haha. I'm a high school student with a passion for computers and IT in general, but unfortunately my school wants no part of it whatsoever. They've basically pulled the BS excuse of legalities not allowing them to learn from the IT department (conflict of interest, bla bla bla).

The school has pushed me over to the TAFE IT course, which admittedly is better than nothing, but it teaches me things that I already know, and to be honest I only did it for the piece of paper proving that I actually know what I'm talking about. This is extremely annoying because I know that if someone decided to help me nurture my talent, I could become very knowledgeable in this area and I plan to get a career in this industry too.

So does anyone have any ideas on how I can gather more information on things such as networking, and understanding servers and how they work on a deeper level. I know how they work on a surface level, but I'm trying to learn the intricacies of how they work, the different ways of implementing something network wide, etc.

Some of you might know about an incident that occurred a while back in my past, where I attempted to access the group policy object editor via a created shortcut on my desktop. This promptly lead to right clicking being disabled for ALL students for 2 years, and me getting yelled at for not using the school computers in an appropriate manner.

So that's my dilemma. If anyone can assist me with my knowledge gathering, I'd be forever grateful :)

PS: Based in Australia, and getting certifications at my age is difficult because I have to travel to the city of Canberra to do them, which is 2 and 1/2 hours away from where I presently live. This makes my knowledge gathering even more difficult.

Best way to better your skills and learn more is honestly to just get a job or volunteer at a place that would let you.

That's how I learned more, and I'm sure how most of us here learned - by actually doing and solving real-world problem. Started at a place when I was 15 and been working IT/computer-related jobs since.

Exactly what Carnage said. I can relate; my High School wanted nothing to do with computer-related courses (short of the BS typing course) and in my town there's no opportunity for computer-enthusiasts looking for related jobs. Something that I've always done-----research the holy **** out of whatever you're curious about. You'll find that usually you can piece together a usable understanding of whatever it is despite a lack of true experience with it.

Yeah volunteering is best. Or if you can afford it.. buy a cheap server I can get a cheap one for £35- £40 .. get a switch and another laptop / PC.. and an external HHD, connect them all up and set up a small rig.. server 2012 doesn't need a key so you can use it all day long.. then you can get up your own network and play around..

Or you can get Oracle and set up a Virtual network..

Yeah volunteering is best. Or if you can afford it.. buy a cheap server I can get a cheap one for £35- £40 .. get a switch and another laptop / PC.. and an external HHD, connect them all up and set up a small rig.. server 2012 doesn't need a key so you can use it all day long.. then you can get up your own network and play around..

Or you can get Oracle and set up a Virtual network..

Gotta be careful though, because setting up your own server/network without much knowledge on the subject can get you into bad habits of doing things.

I doubt I could get an internship anywhere useful... lol.

Any experience is still experience man. Don't be "too good" to take a smaller role for a while, especially at a young age. The more experience you get the better roles you'll be able to get later on.

Back
Top Bottom