Informatics

Status
Not open for further replies.

ikarus

Beta member
I am a freshman at the University of Washington, my main goal was to be a computer engineer, however after this first quarter I am just not feeling up to the massive math and science. I can do it averagely, and it takes a lot of effort to grasp the material. Its just something i can do, but not enjoy.

I was going to go to Digipen, but hardcore programming... wasn't my specialty either - and i couldn't afford to pay 20k$ a year, which the price was ever increasing.

So my real questions lie...

Question 1:

Is Information Systems, the same as Informatics?

At The University of washington, there are seperation between each, but when I look online, the naming.. they seem similar. and its hard to find the information online.

What is the real difference? Will job hirer's know the difference?

U.Washington has :
Information systems under the school of business.
Informatics is in the school of information.

I've looked into informatics, and the job descriptions im seeing are... website developers, and database administers/analysts. Is this right?

As for Information systems.. i have no clue yet.

Information Systems and Operations Management - Michael G. Foster School of Business - University of Washington, Seattle

vs

Information School | University of Washington

I checked both out already, and not that exact on the jargon,

I want to know if anyone can help point me out to the right direction on which is better IS or IT

This is actually pretty common. At ISU we have a information systems major and an information systems business major, this is about the same as your school. Informatics seems to be more of a technology and coding heavy version of information systems, while business information systems works with databases and large companies computer systems and dealing with clients, etc. Not so much with coding and heavy technological things.

Hope this helped.

Thank you very much~

I will go with the informatics side of the major then.

I was looking into working with databases or websites and such,

Another question for anyone..

Would you say informatics is a legit and great major to do?

In terms of job placement / availibility, and salary.

Or would you say that I should continue on to the pursuit of being a Computer Engineer
(I can be, i'm only a freshman in college, i'm just looking for insight and alternative routes)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom