Info Systems or Cyber Security?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kstorm

Beta member
Hey guys,

Just wanted to see if I could possibly get some advice on a Masters program. I graduated from college a couple of years ago as a Business major. I'm currently working as an HRIS administrator, and want to pursue a masters degree in either Information Systems or Cyber/Network Security.

My main question is what would present more career oppurtunities in the future and which one would end being more stable?

Thanks for the help! Any additional information you could give me would be very helpful

info systems has been around longer. it is a bigger field, but more popular among job seekers.

i've just started started seeing Security Jobs listed as What's Hot for computer jobs within the last 3-5 years. It's a growing field. It's a specialized field. Not every IT worker is a security guru.

I would suggest info systems unless you have a passion for security or a opportunity to work in the field.

Thanks for the info... I was leaning toward the info systems degree as well, the one thing thats holding me back is where I live (D.C. area) Security jobs are all over the place but Im not sure if there will still be a big market once I finish the degree

i would look into how many of those jobs actually require job seekers to have a four year or more education in a Security Related degree. The problem with Masters is that it creates a new threat of being "over-qualified".

Generally speaking, I would expect the security field to keep growing over the next 5 years.

Are you currently working in the industry? What do you do? How much experience?

The reason I chose to pursue a Masters is because my undergrad is in a non computer related field (Business) I wanted to try to use the masters as way to break into the field I could also potentaillyy just get a second Bachelors rather then the masters. Just wanted to try to break more into a good IT career. Currently Im working as an HR info systems admin for about 3 years and having a difficult time branching out into a better IT position, I wanted to use the masters as a way to do so

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom