Industrial Technology Bachelor Degree.

Status
Not open for further replies.

SThompson86

In Runtime
Hello, in my quest to figure out which computer based bachelor degree I would like to pursue I found out that a college here offers a degree that is called Industrial Technology( with a emphasis in computer technology) Nonetheless, all the colleges here offer Computer Science, and I do not care to go for CS due to the fact I do not want to be a programmer, and CS is nothing but programming languages. I just do not want to go for my undergrad for something I do not like hence why I have interest in the Industrial technology B.A.S. The Industrial Tech degree classes in my opinion seem to suit the career I would like to have. I would like to be able to be a Network admin one or an IT manager. My concern and question is, is this Industrial Technology degree recognized by the computer industry? I have done some searching tonight, but I have not found anything that had any solid info.

Here the classes I will be taking for the Ind technology degree. ( scroll to the middle section where it says " Computer Technology Concentration" http://www.jsums.edu/cset/technology/curr.pdf

I really do prefer this degree over the Computer information Systems degree I was considering, and I am not even really considering Computer Science. Nonetheless, its pretty obvious I am just trying to stay away from the programming classes because I do not plan on being a programmer.

Thanks in advanced for any info.

uhmmmmm CS is nothing but programming? i beg to differ

My CS program's core classes said:
CS 110 - Computer Science I (3 hrs)
CS 120 - Computer Science II (3 hrs)
ENGR 204 - Introduction to Digital Systems (4 hrs)
CS 210 - Algorithm Analysis and Design (3 hrs)
CS 300 - Programming Languages (3 hrs)
CS 305 - Software Engineering I (3 hrs)
CS 310 - Software Engineering II (3 hrs)
CS 320 - Internetworking (3 hrs)
CS 330 - Operating Systems (3 hrs)
CS 340 - Cyber Security (3 hrs)

CS 350 - Database Engineering (3 hrs)
CS 490 - Senior Project I (3 hrs)
CS 491 - Senior Project II (Capstone) (3 hrs)

Not a lot to do with other stuff, but you certainly cover it....And that's just here, only universities might cover it differently.(And there is a guy in my class that's doing it just to get a better job doing something with networking..so it defiantly will work for that field...but I guess if you want to avoid programming it'd probably be best to stay away from it )

Is it a recognized degree? I've personally never heard of it....but on the other hand almost all websites for hiring computer related positions always list the " or other related degree " thing for degree requirements. So if they don't specifically recognize this degree you could always prove it's worth.

Maybe talk to the people doing the program and ask what job the degree is good for? For all you know it could deal with electronics that don't really deal with computers....(assuming you're doing it for the computer hardware side of things) And I didn't really see any classes dealing with networking....so where would you fit that in if you want to go into the network admin field?

I have e-mailed a few instructors from the program, and I am waiting to hear back from them.

Right Right, CIS is not all programming like Computer Science,but it still has a strong presence.

I think CIS would fit what you are look for more. I realize you don't want to program or be an engineer, so stay away from CS.

You are also going to have to realize it isn't just about what classes you take, but how your degree is preceived in the work place. Not every CS person becomes an engineer and not every CIS graduate goes into programming.

I believe in the IT workforce a CIS degree is much more likely to get you into the field you are looking to get into opposed to CS or even that other degree you were speaking about.

I think CIS would fit what you are look for more. I realize you don't want to program or be an engineer, so stay away from CS.

You are also going to have to realize it isn't just about what classes you take, but how your degree is preceived in the work place. Not every CS person becomes an engineer and not every CIS graduate goes into programming.

I believe in the IT workforce a CIS degree is much more likely to get you into the field you are looking to get into opposed to CS or even that other degree you were speaking about.

I agree, I was told this morning that this school I am considering also has a CIS program. I will look into it. Nonetheless, would like to hear from other people about the Industrial Technology degree.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom