Increase my knowledge

clark33

In Runtime
I've been out the fold for a while but have some limited IT Experience (Helpdesk Analyst for some 6 months, Comptia a+ certified and MCDST). Im looking for suggestions as to how I can brush up my knowledge as im currently applying for 1st line jobs but lack hands-on experience. Can anyone suggest the best way of increasing my knowledge base? All I can think off is to have a search through the posts on this site and take note of stuff. Was wondering if anyone has alternative suggestions? Thanks in advance.

What is your end goal? Land a job or to just brush up on what you already know?

If you are just trying to brush up on stuff best way is probably just to read some articles and see what trends are hitting the marketplace.

If you are trying to land a job, the answer will depend on what you are interested in. With an A+ and MCDST sounds like maybe hardware or software support? If so, look into getting your Net+ and your MCP with Windows 7.

If you have more than one computer you can test certain hardware, or software issues. As well as virtual environments can help you learn more about software sided issues. I'm sure you can download a messed up virtual PC image and try to attempt fixing the issues that are present on it.

What is your end goal? Land a job or to just brush up on what you already know?

If you are just trying to brush up on stuff best way is probably just to read some articles and see what trends are hitting the marketplace.

If you are trying to land a job, the answer will depend on what you are interested in. With an A+ and MCDST sounds like maybe hardware or software support? If so, look into getting your Net+ and your MCP with Windows 7.

The ultimate Goal is to land an IT job. However, i do feel that I should brush up on my knowledge in support of that Goal. I was thinking a first line Helpdesk Analyst job might be up my tree. However, the thought of taking "complaints" over a phone does not encourage me in the slightest. However - what one must do to get into the field? I don't fancy doing more qualifications at the moment as i seem to have spent my entire life studying to no avail! Thanks for your advice however, i will take it on board.

Most people have to start at the bottom and work your way up.

“Talent is cheaper than table salt. What separates the talented individual from the successful one is a lot of hard work.”
― Stephen King

The ultimate Goal is to land an IT job. However, i do feel that I should brush up on my knowledge in support of that Goal. I was thinking a first line Helpdesk Analyst job might be up my tree. However, the thought of taking "complaints" over a phone does not encourage me in the slightest. However - what one must do to get into the field? I don't fancy doing more qualifications at the moment as i seem to have spent my entire life studying to no avail! Thanks for your advice however, i will take it on board.

Take up a volunteering op, you can do one on weekends or evenings depending on the project or charity or organisation. That's what I done, I luckily got an volunteering op doing a roll-out of SSDs and printer checks on a company with 650 computers (cant remember how many printers). many issues happened during the 2 weeks and I learnt alot but also built a network with the people I worked with and the company - who are now happy to pay me on there next roll-out project(s) (reason I didnt get paid first time is lack of experience). I went on to take my comptia A+ and win 7 MCITP and now im working in IT, 1st line support.

so you just need to think outside the box and be different to stand out and show your commitment, and show ways your getting experience without even having a job!

Back
Top Bottom