im sure this has been asked a million time

Status
Not open for further replies.

hexen220

Beta member
I have a bachelor's degree in criminal justice, but i want a job as a network administrator. I checked online and it seems you need experience for all jobs in a computer relater field, that seems like a catch 22 becuase how are you supposed to gain experience if no one is willing to hire you in the first place? what would you guys recommend i get in terms of certifications masters or what, will any of that even help? lol

You are exactly right. I will never understand that. Even the most entry level positions out there still say you need experience.

Do you have any experience with computers? Any work experience? Take any classes in school?

My suggestion would be to get your Net+ and A+. At that point you can get an entry level position on a helpdesk or desktop support at a small company. From there you can gain the experience needed to be a network admin. Realize that network admin is higher up on the IT ladder, so you aren't going to get hired right into that position. You will need at least 5 years experience before any reputable company is going to hire you do to that job (i've been looking around lately myself and admin positions require roughly 5 to 10 years experience). This isn't to say you couldn't get one with less, but on average people are going to want you to have at least 5 years experience - realize these positions pay around 70,000 a year so its not something people are just hired into without thought.

well in right now i basically forgot everything i knew about computers but i do want to get CCNA certification, how is that compared to net+ or A+ keep in mind that in high school i took cisco courses and got some student cisco certification thing, took me about 3 years to get it

CCNA would be a better option if you are familiar with networking and the 'certification process.' I only say net+ and a+ because they are considered beginner certifications. If you feel comfortable with it just go for the CCNA.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom