i think i've picked the wrong course...

Status
Not open for further replies.

derekrules

Solid State Member
yeah, im currently in my first year studying at northumbria university of the UK.

my course is called 'multimedia and digital entertainment in computing'.

right now im studying a bit of everything... literally... theres 'computer system fundamentals' which is all bits and bytes :sigh:, then theres sql and databases, and java programming etc. nothing to do with the course name... :sigh:

my question is, is there any employers out there who will be looking for someone with this qualification?

before i joined uni i really wanted to get into the computer side of the TV biz. as in doing adverts, commercials, maybe even movies etc. but this is rediculous... i guess any job after i graduate will be good enough. just so i have enough time to further upgrade myself...

They probably just want you to have a sound overall understanding of computers. Give it some time, I am sure you will get into the good stuff soon. Hang in there. Graphic design, web design, multimedia should be a pretty solid field to get in.

Databases are important. Everytime I have an interview (for an electrical engineering position), they ask what kind of skills do I have with them.

If you're experienced enough, senior oracle database engineers make around $150k, don't know how much that is in pounds.

The first year is a little boareing, it is the first year every course. Hang in there and just let it glide it will get much better in the long run.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom