I need some guidance...

Status
Not open for further replies.

thebrantmeister

Solid State Member
I am interested in pursuing a career in the computer field. I am a senior in high school, but I have started my college by taking "Introduction to Programming and Logic". If I continue down this path, I will get an Associates Degree in Computer Programming (which apparently means nothing) and I can transfer after that as a junior to a four-year university to get a Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or Information Systems. What path would you guys recommend I take. Should I continue down the programming path or should I switch over to the CISCO Certifications (which I hear will get you a job quicker)? What certifications (A+, Network+, etc.) should I try to get along the way?

Before you can answer those questions, you need to decide what you want to do. If you want to develop software for a living, you should probably pursue a CS degree. If you're more interested in IT work, go for certifications, though you'll probably want a degree at some point in your career.

I'm interested in either one... I enjoy programming (although the only programming class I've taken is my current one), but I also enjoy building systems. I think it would be just as interesting to pursue a career in the computer science field as it would be to get an IT job. What field would have the most jobs available? I've heard that programmers are having trouble being hired this day in time. Is that true?

Programmers in my opinion and research, get paid more, but work more hours. IT guys need a wide range of skills from networking, hardware, and some programming skills. Guys who do software development don't need any real "people" skills though, but if you go into system admin you have to deal with users. My advice, do what you are happiest doing and are most passionate about. The jobs and money will come. You can always do both. Start as an IT guy and work toward your programming or vice versa. Then if you have certs and degrees in more than one field, you can demand a higher pay and be more selective when job hunting.

superdave1984 said:
Programmers in my opinion and research, get paid more, but work more hours. IT guys need a wide range of skills from networking, hardware, and some programming skills. Guys who do software development don't need any real "people" skills though, but if you go into system admin you have to deal with users. My advice, do what you are happiest doing and are most passionate about. The jobs and money will come. You can always do both. Start as an IT guy and work toward your programming or vice versa. Then if you have certs and degrees in more than one field, you can demand a higher pay and be more selective when job hunting.

Thank you:). I guess I should continue down the programming path, because I do enjoy it. But I definitely think a masters degree will be in order, and maybe someday a PhD if there is one in that field lol; I'm a little bit ignorant on that subject.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom