How to prepare for simlulation-type questions on the A+ exam

The Technician

Solid State Member
So, I'm self studying for my second go at the 220-802 exam, and I'm wondering how to prepare for the simulation questions. I have one laptop running Vista Business, one network in the household, which others need for work/school, and thus can't be a guinea pig for troubleshooting network issues. So how can I simulate, and troubleshoot network problems without tampering with my current system/network and running the risk of screwing something up? Another example, I don't have a Vista installation disk, thus can't actually run Recovery Console, and therefore can't answer detailed questions about the system recovery process other than the highlights covered by most practice tests and study guides - which did me no good the first time around. This is a problem for a multitude of processes covered in the exam, processes that I don't have the means to perform hands on, and memorizing the steps and such is not enough to actually use the utilities in a given scenario.

So my question is, how can I prepare for the parts of the exam that require me to use X utility to solve X problem in X operating system, without having at my disposal: the equipment, the OS's, the network, and the know-how to simulate the problems?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

I would recommend visiting a local Goodwill or some such store and seeing if they have some computers that they are willing to part with on the cheap that you can play with. Sometimes they do and sometimes they don't. As for a network, same thing. Either pickup a cheap consumer router at Wal-Mart or Best Buy or check with Goodwill while you're there and see if they have some commercial ones that they can get to you on the cheap. Scouring local selling web sites, such as CraigsList, can also turn up some opportunity.

You might spend a few hundred bucks on all of it at the most (if you're patient and find the right stuff), but it's worth it for the hands on experience.

The other option you might look into is seeing if any companies around you are offering an internship, either paid or volunteer. At that point, you get to play with some live stuff and more current, usually, as well.

Finally, make sure you use the available practice exams anywhere you can find them online. Those will help test your knowledge. Good luck and I hope that helps!

Back
Top Bottom