How much does a help desk tech with 2 yrs exp get paid?

Status
Not open for further replies.

matt-lee

Beta member
Hi, I currently work at a small company doing tech support on a little bit of everything. I've been there for a little over 2 yrs and thinking of finding a job at a big company as I don't see any growth at my current place. I know that I will have to start at help desk at a big company. I was just wondering how much will I be looking at for someone who has 2 yr exp at a small company with around 50 people. Thanks for your input.

Depends on the company too, there is a helpdesk in my area at which you make close to 40, but they require a lot more knowledge than the average helpdesk.

Office is right though, or entry level helpdesk you are looking at 25 to 30k depending on market and company.

Since you already have experience i would shoot for a higher position like desktop support, where you'd make 35 to 45 depending on market and company.

working for a smaller company may have its benefits such as amount of influence you have on decisions and leinency on making mistakes.

a person once told me the following

you should not leave a company for the following reasons

1. more money ( i think this is because the company may be trying to bait you into a job that is tougher than avg. I also think, however, that sometimes more money may be necessary)

2. because you don't like someone. he also said this is because you'll find someone like the same person you don't like at the old job.

Have you talked to your manager about career advancement or how to get a raise?

Reasons to work for a small company if you're in IT

I currently live in NYC and I don't think the small company that I am working for now have any career advancement for me. In addition, I would like to learn more on the IT field. I currently get paid around 38. I'm hoping to find a company that will pay around 45? I'm not sure if this is a realistic salary in NYC as living expense is high in the city.

38, with 2yrs exp....what education?

it may be time to start looking into changing from a tech to a supervisor or manager.

The education will act as bargaining chips when asking for a promotion.

I only have associates degree. The idea of looking into a supervisor position does interest me. However, still for this to happen, I think I need to have some experience managing people. Currently, I'm the only IT guy at my current company. And supporting 50 people is not a whole lot of work at all. And off the topic, what do you think about using job agencies to find a job? The other day a job agency called me and told me about one of the people they helped making nearly around 50 in San Fransisco bay area as a call center help desk. Not sure if that is true or not.

You need to take cost of living into consideration, ya 50 is great in California, but the cost of living is almost double compared to what other parts of the country are. If a mcdonalds clerk makes 15 dollars an hour you know that cost of living must be enormous.

Do you do all of the support for those 50 people or do you just do the desktop stuff? For helpdesk or desktop support you are going to cap at 45 at the most, and that is after a few years of experience. As office said you need to get into a management role in order to make more in those positions. If you want to make more than say 50k a year you need to get into administration, server, active directory and networking. Networking admin and System Admin is where you are going to make your money (70 to 100).

Hi, thanks for the advise. Yea, I did do support all the 50 people. So it's not just only help desk or desktop. It's more like jack of all trades and familiar with some Linux and Windows administration.

Regarding the cost, is there a big difference between NYC and California? Although I can't say that I can freely spend money with the 38 I get, it is sufficient enough for me to pay bills and have a little bit left on the side.

I do want to get into server and network administration. However, I went for 2 interviews a couple of months ago for Jr server admin position and it seems like employers are looking for someone that has more experience than supporting 50 people.

I guess that in the end I'm looking to find a place where I can have a career in IT and still pays the same if not more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom