How to get your feet wet?

Jwoods4290

Beta member
Good morning,

I wanted to ask opinions of others in regards to getting into the IT field and obtaining a position. What are some positions or even companies to get into? certs that could be of help?

Me for example, I've been doing builds and hardware side of things, fixes etc. I'm really pushing for software now but anything you would recommend, let me know please and thank you.

John Anthony Woods-Hutchins

Hi,

Well personal development, your on the right track as you already know by doing builds etc..

What do you mean software? servers etc?

In the UK, Comptia A+/N+/S+ are good to get noticed and a job, along with a few MS certs (you dont need MCSE to get a job)

Not sure how it is in the US?

What type of funds do you have? as we could recommend a few different things depending on how much you can spend.

Thank you guys for your input's. I'm honestly just fiending to get starting more-so in the IT field. With my current job now, the only IT experience I get is installing hardware for a copier and I taught myself web-imaging programming by stealing some of the work-load from a different station.

I'm somewhat the opposite; I had little experience beyond using computers when I decided to go for my CompTIA A+ certification. I had upgraded RAM and replaced a laptop screen following youtube videos, but that was it.
Anyway, I'm toward the end of a 10 month course (start 4 weeks of testing and finals next week) at Mayfield College, after which they will pay for me to take the certification exam. The benefit of taking a course like this rather than studying and paying to take the exam is that after my testing they put me in an externship at a real computer shop, school district, or otherwise and will help you find a job if the externship site doesn't hire you. The school has a computer clinic in which I am required to put in at least 13 hours a week throughout the course. That, plus the 5 week externship, I have nearly a year of experience in computer support before I even try to get a job - plus I will be certified.

Of course, there are other ways to get into the field; but certifications greatly increase your chances of getting hired, and definitely increase your pay rate.

See if there are any local computer stores in your area, or chain stores like Microcenter. Go beef up your resume, meet the managers, tell them what you can do and why you would be a benefit to their team. Then don't stop bugging them until they give you a shot.

I am currently in school as well as studying for my A+ 901 cert. I just got a job as a remote tech support representative. The pay is not great (starts at $10) but there is plenty of room for quick advancement if you know what your doing. I personally am going to work from home which will help since I have a family and am taking online courses. If anyone would like to apply here is the link.
https://www.telenetwork.com/apply/

Back
Top Bottom