How to get started.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I believe most places take any age. Try checking out CompTIA it seems like they have a a lot of A+ training courses in many parts of the US.

I went to CompTIA and couldnt find any courses. Is there any online ones which are free?

Go get a A+ book by Mike Meyers... that's what I'm reading through at the moment and besides being an enjoyable read, it has extremely useful information. Mine was $29.99 at Borders.

Other than that, just experiment with hardware. You said you have an old computer... open it up and take a look around. By just opening the side panel, you should be able to see most of the main components - teach yourself what each part looks like and what it's connected to.

You might want to just search google for exactly what you are trying to find in here. I've already found plenty of material to keep you busy through the middle school dance next Saturday night.

Seriously, check this out. Most of it is old material (certification and technology wise), but it's still valuable information. And you are just starting out anyway. At this point, take what's free. Also, don't just assume what you are reading is creditable or correct all the time, could lead to you slicing your hand or hurting yourself. Read information from several sources.

I started out pretty young too, at 5 or 6. Since the internet pipes didn't exist back then, I basically started doing what was offered in here as advise a couple times ... Start taking things apart.

You don't have to worry about getting terminally ill but if you don't know the basic principles of electricity, then please be smart about playing around with things you don't know too much about. Read first. A computer that is unplugged can still hold a charge and hurt ya.

Try searching for "Free Online Comptia Courses", "Free Online Computer Hardware Courses" or "Free Online Computer Courses"

Learnthat.com - Free CompTIA Certifications Tutorials and Free Certification Courses

I fully agree with Mike on this. I started with PC's back in the 40286 days when DOS rules and Windows was still in its beta stages for version 1.0 and not even released.

Back then there wasnt the internet we know today. It was basically 1 big IRC channel. If you were lucky you knew some people that you could connect to and get information. But you were baqsically direct dialing a PC not connecting to the servers of today. Think WarGames with Matthew Brodrick.

Back then the only thing you could do is take it apart and figure out how to put it back together and make it work again.

Knowing of stuff before hand is much better than diving in blind. Read about how Capacitors hold a charge and how much each cap can hold to the point where if you accidently discharged one what kind of damage if any it could do to you.

I had a giigle the other day when i read a auciton from someone talking about how they have been building PC's for 4 years but only have 7 builds under their belt. Sorry but that is nothing. I had 7 builds under my belt my first month. In 4 years if you are into it you should have a massive amount of builds. There isnt a family member that doesnt have a PC built by me now.

But i ramble. Mike is fully correct that the more you read and know the better off you will be. Dont take 1 source as the ultimate answer. REad many sources. Find out for yourself which one is correct and which way works best for you.

In the end getting your hands dirty is always the best way.

Just to further expand on what others have said. It is important to 'get your hands dirty' and open up a case and tinker around with stuff. But what is more important is you not electricuting yourself in the process. Opening up a case and seeing the insides will mean nothing unless you understand each component. So while you could open up a case right now and see what is on the inside, it is going to look like foreign language to you until you read up and understand each component.

Read first, once you get a semi-decent grasp on the parts then start toying around with one taking it apart.

How could i electirc cute my self in the proccises just to make sure I dont do it. Also Is there any potehr dangers in it

Electricution from a computer is rair but it can happen, I have only had a few small zaps but mostly just from a static discharge.

If you unplug the computer an press the power button a few times most if not all the stored electricity inside the PSU's capacitors will be discharged. Having said that NEVER EVER EVER open the PSU it's self up no matter how long it hasn't had a current flowing through it you could wind up hurt or dead an we wouldnt want that.

But I would do as other have said in this thread, and if you have a older PC to take apart an learn how to put it back together again, get used to installing the OS, Drivers etc an learn how to trouble shoot problems.

Also don't run before you can crawl learn the basics, put them into practice, make sure you know them, then move onto the more advanced topics, then again make sure you know them, an then take if from there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom