How do I get my start in cyber security/computer forensics???? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Technology > Technology Careers and Education
Click Here to Login

Old 03-30-2017, 03:23 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default How do I get my start in cyber security/computer forensics????

What I want to do is computer forensics/security and I need to find the fastest way in.

I have a liberal arts bachelor's, I'm 29, and I'm recently unemployed. I'm really not qualified for any tech job as I've just started learning to code (python) and learning about cyber security.

Are there any entry point jobs that I could get within 3-6 months of self study that would point me in the direction of cyber security? I've heard about people getting Java development jobs after 3 months at a bootcamp but I'm not sure that is putting me in the right direction, though at least I would be in IT. Plus I'm broke.

I've got time on my hands but I don't know if it would be best spent applying for any old job I can get or if I have a chance at an IT job if I buckle down and spend every waking hour for 3-6 months learning cyber security (or some skill that gets my foot in the door). What do y'all think?

freerangeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 11:59 PM   #2 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default Re: How do I get my start in cyber security/computer forensics????

I hate to be the one to say it, but perhaps working on another BS is the best way in. Perhaps directly in that field; Cyber Security & Network Management is popular. Or maybe just purchasing a text book and studying for a certification exam for either CCNA, CCNP, or Security+.

If you are interested, the government will hire you to work in these fields with just a Bachelor's degree.
NPragz is offline   Reply With Quote