how to become a network adminstrator

Status
Not open for further replies.
More of network security.

Your best bet would be to get the education and certifications while trying to gain some experience. No company, and i mean no company is going to hire you out of the gates as a network administrator unless it is a small company in which you wear a lot of different hats (one of which may be something like a network admin).

Get the education, get the certifications, get the experience (like desktop support, junior admin) and the job will come later.

i dont want to go directly into a network admin. i want to do some tech work first., being a network admin. is my final goal.
whats the difference between a network admin. and a system admin.?

Yea I'm sure being a network admin would require a lot of experience or a 4-6 year degree. It's just one of those jobs that you have to work up towards.

I think just being some kind of network tech would be a good starting point. I'm sure you could get into that with some certs. Try to get some cisco certs considering they are probably the best networking company out there.

As for the network admin/system admin thing. I'm not to sure. I guess network admin looks over just the network while system admins look over the computers.

System administrator - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A network administrator maintains network infrastructure such as switches and routers, and diagnoses problems with these or with the behavior of network-attached computers.

A system administrator, systems administrator, or sysadmin, is a person employed to maintain and operate a computer system and/or network. System administrators may be members of an information technology (IT) department.
The duties of a system administrator are wide-ranging, and vary widely from one organization to another. Sysadmins are usually charged with installing, supporting, and maintaining servers or other computer systems, and planning for and responding to service outages and other problems. Other duties may include scripting or light programming, project management for systems-related projects, supervising or training computer operators, and being the consultant for computer problems beyond the knowledge of technical support staff. A system administrator must demonstrate a blend of technical skills and responsibility in order to perform their job well.

Network admin controls the physical layout of a network and now the computers, servers, routers, switches, etc communicate.

System admin usually controls the software side of active directory. Meaning when you sign into your computer at work (or school) - you have an account on a server that is controlled by the system admin. They control the user accounts, resources and group policies in a server environment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom