how to become a network adminstrator

Status
Not open for further replies.

gula187

In Runtime
I was in class trying to figure out the path to being a network administrator but i came up empty...can anyone point me in the right direction and suggest some good study material? I read an article that a company looks at certs before a degree i dont know how true that is

Depends on the company. If you have the ability and opportunity to get a college degree go for it as it will help you more. The reason is that a degree in almost any field will help you out overall, even if you get an IT degree believe it or not it will help you get a job in marketing or management because a it isn't as sepcific as a certification.

The only time somone will look at a certification more than a degree is if you have some of the larger certifications like CCNA, MCITP: Server 2008 or MCSE - all require a ton of reading and studying, not sure about CCN but the microsoft ones take 5 or more exams to complete.

The ideal path would be:
1. BS in Computer Information System or Network Administration (depending on school)
2. Net+
3. CCNA
4. Some type of Microsoft certificatino, not 100% if they have network administration

Depends on the company. If you have the ability and opportunity to get a college degree go for it as it will help you more. The reason is that a degree in almost any field will help you out overall, even if you get an IT degree believe it or not it will help you get a job in marketing or management because a it isn't as sepcific as a certification.

The only time somone will look at a certification more than a degree is if you have some of the larger certifications like CCNA, MCITP: Server 2008 or MCSE - all require a ton of reading and studying, not sure about CCN but the microsoft ones take 5 or more exams to complete.

The ideal path would be:
1. BS in Computer Information System or Network Administration (depending on school)
2. Net+
3. CCNA
4. Some type of Microsoft certificatino, not 100% if they have network administration

good stuff lex

Not intending to hi jack the thread,

But would an associates degree even work? Also, what do you think the job projection is for Network admins? A decrease, an increase?

An associates works too, but a bachelors is in much more demand. I believe you can get away with just a bachelors and no certifications to get a good job, but i don't think that is the case for an associates. If you just get an associates I would definately strive for a few certifications.

Before people start flaming there are always exceptions to the rule and people with just a high school degree are doing great in IT. But statistically speaking with just an associates you are far less likely to succeed in getting that first job and moving up.

As for demand, it is my understanding Network Admins will be in high demand in 2010 and 2011 because companies will start spending more money on IT and infastructure since the economy is supposed to be on a turnaround.

i know that the A+ is essential but after that should i try to go this route with the certs? A+, network+,security +, then the CCENT

A+ is a computer hardware cert, not really used for a Network administrator,
I'm currently going to DeVry for my BA in (NCM) Network and Communications Management Degree.
I have a few friends who are getting their associates (NSA) Network Systems Administration.
If you go for a degree I would suggest the BA, most places are looking for even masters degrees in NCM.
on top of heavy certs

the Main Cert you will need is a CCNA, it has to do with Routers, Switchs, WAN, LAN, Protocols for both Routers and Switches, Network infrastructure, VPNs, Network security and a whole lot more.
CCNA Certification

Cisco Certified Network Associate (CCNA®) validates the ability to install, configure, operate, and troubleshoot medium-size route and switched networks, including implementation and verification of connections to remote sites in a WAN. CCNA curriculum includes basic mitigation of security threats, introduction to wireless networking concepts and terminology, and performance-based skills. This new curriculum also includes (but is not limited to) the use of these protocols: IP, Enhanced Interior Gateway Routing Protocol (EIGRP), Serial Line Interface Protocol Frame Relay, Routing Information Protocol Version 2 (RIPv2),VLANs, Ethernet, access control lists (ACLs).
CCNA - Career Certifications & Paths - Cisco Systems

i just said A+ because thats the starting point and i know i cant go straight to being a network admin.

IMO it's best to shoot for a less important position first, e.g. Administrator's assistant or something. That way you can get a feel for working on a real companies network, but without all the stress that the top job will bring you.
Then, once you've got some experience, go for the admin position.

with a position like network admin, i would think that each company would like to have someone who already knows the network and thus would be more inclined to promote from within, so the suggestion to shoot for a lower position makes perfect sense. i would always recommend A+ and N+ first, they're easy to get and would look great on paper along with a degree, CCNA, CCNP, or whatever else you want to get.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom