Honestly, how hard is it to find a job?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Him

Fully Optimized
This goes out to all the aspiring IT people out there. I have an Associates Degree in computer networking, and I'm an all around IT guy, such as most people on this forum, and what most people on this forum wasnt to be. Believe me when I tell you, it is not that hard to find a job in this field, as long as you are not picky and arrogant about the position. I'm out of a job in two days, and I started yesterday sending out resumes. I already have a job in the bucket (provided I pass a drug test... Which I wont) and I just got an interview for another company on Monday. It's not that hard to find a job. Alll you need to do is get out there, and send out your resume. Make sure you know how to write a decent cover letter and/or email to them. YOur cover letter or initial email is pretty much a pre-interview, interview. MOst of the time, almost all of the time, peopel will call you back entirely dependent on that initial correspondence you send to them.

Next time you try to say that you cant find a job, take a step back and realize what it is that you are doing which you shouldnt be doing. Perhaps you are afraid of getting a job you cant handle. It's a job, you lose it, you get another one, simple as that. Dont be afraid of success. Just because you dont know how to do the job now, dosent mean you would know how to do it within a couple of weeks working there. Make sure you explain to them that you are willing to learn whatever they give you. You may take a while to learn something at one job, and it may make you look bad, but that is experience you can use to sell yourself to the next job, where they dont know, nor care, where when or how long it took you to learn that. They only care that you know it.

Sorry for the tirade, I've just seen too many people, including myself, say "I cant get a job, there is nothing out there" when it is so easy to get a job. And if you are desperate for a job, then you should be getting a crap job at McDonalds until something good comes around. If you need a job, money is money, regardless of where you get it.

Him, I moved this here as I saw appropriate. I also cleaned it up, as it was hijacked, etc where it was.

Hehehe, you beat me to the punch man :) However I was, truthfully, laughing too hard at the individual posts to pull enough concentration through to started editing. :p

Good for you...

Congrats on an initial interview and job........

But I find it hard to believe you sent out your resume yesterday and already have an interview tomorrow....unless of course you aren't taking an IT job or know somebody where you will be interviewed.

I've applied to many jobs, I've also interviewed people and worked with HR in the past and most of the time, people aren't looking at a resume as soon as it's sent to them.

That's why it might take a month or two before somebody is actually hired for a job.......

Especially in IT, where nowadays, there's usually an initial Phone Screen from some HR person, then a few days later or a week or two later, maybe a Phone Tech screen or face-to-face tech screen will happen. From there, maybe it's the same long day, rare these days, but you have another interview with the team leaders, project managers and so on.......and background checks, complex or simple are done.

And then after all that, it's usually discussed over a few days, week or more before a final decision is made.

I once waited two months for one job where the team liked me, the managers liked me, everybody liked me but for various reasons including a secret clearance that needed a long background check, it took that long to finally bring me in to work.

There is too much money involved in business these days for a company to check out your resume, have some HR person interview you the next day, and then hire you..........

Unless of course you come highly recommended cause your buddy works for the same firm that you applied to. But then again, it just isn't that simple anymore..

Yeah going down to the local gas station and getting a job probably won't take that long, but in IT, don't assume everything will come together in a few days..... It doesn't work like that, even if they love you and want to bring you in.

It does work like that, why do you think I'd lie about that? Dont be such a naysayer. Just because it hasnt happened with you, dosent mean it cant happen with someone else.

Especially in IT, where nowadays, there's usually an initial Phone Screen from some HR person, then a few days later or a week or two later, maybe a Phone Tech screen or face-to-face tech screen will happen. From there, maybe it's the same long day, rare these days, but you have another interview with the team leaders, project managers and so on.......and background checks, complex or simple are done.

The job I am at now took me two days to get, and it is a desktop support position in good sized office. I sent them my resume, got a call back that day, had the job the next day. At school, I worked for the IT department there. I walked in, gave them my resume, had the interview and job on the spot. Should I go on? I'm not saying I'm special, I'm saying it's not hard to find a job.

Congrats on being fortunate. Perhaps yours was the first (maybe only) resume they got and they needed to fill the position. Not saying you don't have the skills they wanted, but often it is about being in the right place at the right time. In my case it took 9 months to land a quality job. And that was through persistance and phone calls and resume road trips. Location is huge too. I live in a rural area and the number of tech jobs is very small. Of course the number of applicants is small too. I could have had several jobs in that time, but it would have reqired me to either relocate or drive 60 miles each way. It isn't that the jobs aren't there it's just finding one that is a good fit for you and the company.

Here in Australia (duno if it's the same elsewhere), IT jobs have increased 40% while people taking IT courses have dropped 40% in the past years

this made me even more interested in this stream xD

I'm in New Zealand, and finding an IT job for me was pretty easy too, I've only started working in IT this year and already I've had about 5 job interviews and 3 different jobs. So I'd kinda have to agree with Him.

With saying that, I've also noticed a little trend in submitting my resume and such.

If I wasn't hiding behind a screen name and my awesome English Language skills, you probably wouldn't know that I'm Chinese. In a country which prides itself in being multi-cultural, I can honestly tell you there is a fair bit of racism when looking for jobs. I've found that if I put my full name (Includes my Chinese name) and/or my ethnicity on my CV/Cover Letter, I get no replies whatsoever. BUT if I just place my English name, with no ethnicity, job offers come up just like that. Don't know if this has actually happened to anybody else.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom