Help with school project

Status
Not open for further replies.

mukIT

Baseband Member
I have a project that was assigned for our final, it is to build a home server in class. every one in the class but two of us the has financial aid and got their kits paid for by financial aid. Me and one other person are paying out of pocket and don't have much to spend. the project is 200 out of our 625 total points for the class

what the requirements are:
1ghz cpu min (does not specify core)
1gb of memory
raid 1 (use on board or add on card at our discretion, and explain the benefits of our choice)
2 sata hard drives ( no size specification)
Windows home server or Ubuntu server (our choice)

Ubuntu gives an extra 25 points

I am going to go with Ubuntu because it is free and i have never used Linux before so this might be a huge chore for me. every one else got the windows home server included so me and brandy are going with Ubuntu.

WHAT I AM ASKING FOR IS NOT A HANDOUT! but if you have some of this stuff lying around and want to get rid of it at a price i can afford please email me at markmerr73 at yahoo dot com, and put projetc in the subject line.

I am pretty much looking for me and Brandy, I am watching craigslist like a hawk but no luck so far. also if you have any advice on how to put this together successfully I am a great listener.

thanks

Pretty sure it is borderline illegal for them to require you to purchase things out-of-pocket for a grade. I would seriously question the ethics and validity of this project. Don't get me wrong, the project is a good idea - the fact that they are making you pay for something that is going to cost a decent about of money is crap.

If it were me and i couldn't afford it i would go to the administration office and complain. Honestly I truely feel what the professior is requiring is wrong.

I can try that not sure how they will take it so far my experience at this school has been less than mediocre. when I signed up it for the class it showed that the kit was included in the lab fees. which i did not pay. last quarter i did pay lab fees which included my basic tool kit and that was only $75.00. I wanted to go to ITT tech but it was $42,000. the place I am going is $8200 for the associates program. I feel Lost....this was the cheapest place to go. UHG!

So you are going to a trade school, technical school or State / Private college?

Either way if it is a matter of you not affording something that was said to be included I would put up a huge fight. Like I said, unless this was something you knew about i would fight it.

i went last night and complained, it did not go far at first, but the secretary told me she had an old dell i could have ( i picked it up today after work) it has a 1.3ghz p4 but only 256mb of ram. they did approve of me and brandy sharing this pc and building it together, so we are both going to chip in on the rest of the stuff to make it work. the only choice they gave me was to not do the project and lose 200 points which would take me from my current grade of an A to a low C, or to build something as close to the specs as i can. as long as i can make it work and be able to connect to it through remote desktop (which I have never done) they said i would get at least 150 points on it. if i get the ram up to specs (not even sure if this thing will hold a gig of ram) and show the raid 1 function is working i (and brandy) will get all 200

Bunch of crap.

On the flip side you can usually get extremely cheap parts from companies or PC repair shops. You could even ask a large company in your town if they had an old PC they would like to donate (or even your school). You'd be extremely suprised what companies are willing to part with because they are updating their systems.

Hi,

eBay is also a good place for cheap second hand and new components.

Also, regarding the platform, I know you said you're planning on using Ubuntu Server because it's cost-free and incurs extra points, but as a student you should have access to the Microsoft Dreamspark Programme and thus be able to obtain Windows Server 2003, Windows Server 2008 and Windows Server 2008 R2 free of charge:

https://www.dreamspark.com

Furthermore, if you want a Windows server OS tailored for the home instead, then you can obtain the public beta preview release of Windows Home Server V2 (codename 'Vail) from Microsoft Connect, also free of charge (although it will require a Windows Live/Hotmail account):

https://connect.microsoft.com/WindowsHomeServer/ –> go to the bottom of the page, and under 'Contribute', click on the 'Windows Home Server Connect program' link. You'll be prompted to sign in using a Windows Live/Hotmail account, before being taken to the download page.

...that is, in case you change your mind about using Ubuntu. Best of luck! :big_grin:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom