Help me come up with BS Positives about why I want to leave my current job

Status
Not open for further replies.

Harper

"I FEEL SO GOOD I FEEL SO NUMB, YEAH!!!"
I was reading in the job guide last week, and they were commenting you should say positive things about your current employeer at a job interview.

This is getting a little tricky for me because my current employeer is an idiot that has just purchased a business in an industry that he has no idea about.

6 months ago, the old boss sold the business. Prior to that, we were focusing of computer POS and CCTV solutionss. My current boss on the other hand really had no idea and is expecting me to do all the work for him including cleaning up his screw ups.
And unfortunantly, me bring in the buckets of cash for my boss is a little hard as trying to fill the roles of
- Storemanger, Sale Clerk, Field Tech, Marketing. And since I am the only person that does any work in the company, sales are not coming in, and the boss is beginning to get second throught about whether he shoud of purchased a computer shop or not.
He's trying to move the business into "Box Moving". And to be quite frank, box moving is a waste of my talents. FYI, box moving is a term we use in the IT Industry to any company that sells computer (and parts) at very low margins just to get sale and then push all the responibility to the manufacturer or some other 3rd party. And quike frankly, box moving does not excite me as it's a lot of work for little money. And you really don't need some one has highly skilled as me to just move computer out the door.
Plus there is some of the chinese importers that he's talking too in regards to items to import which has nothing to do with computers. Or if they do have some thing to do with computers or IT then skill required to use them and suport them. After seeing some of the products that he has been considering about importing, there has been some alarm bells going on in my head telling me "Why does he to pay me for when he could get people younger and dumber at half the price"

Now I have got a lot of lines that I can use for job that are in other industries. Like if I happen to go for some retail sales clerk postion.
Eg. Would like to work closer to home. Looking for a change from computers.

However I am trying to work out what i am going to say about my current employer with out making it sound like a "I work for a complete idiot"
Currently I put in an application at Dell and that's easy to word as I will use the line of "I would like to work in a larger company where i have some chance of promotion later on down the track"
However I got a few applications going out to some Smaller to Medium companies which do the same thing that the simulare thing to what I am doing now.

I really don't want to say "I am looking for a job that pays me more" as I know that line does not work well. Like why would an employeer hire you based on your inablilty to negoate with your boss for a pay rise.

I don't want to want to say "I work for an idiot" as the employeers are look at that as "If that is what you are saying about your current boss, then what are you going to say about me?"

I what I would like to say is some thing along the lines of "My former boss sold the business. The new boss is changing the direction of the company in such a way where my level of skill and tallent with computers are just getting wasted."

Nice store KC, sorry you work for a complete idiot. I agree if you don't feel good about the job or where the company is heading it is best to move on with a company that better fits your goals and what you want to be doing with your life.

As for the job hunt, sounds like you have the 'larger companies' down with saying you want more room to grow. Depending on the job you can also say that you are wanting to move towards a technical position instead of sales (which would be the box moving).

If you were trying to apply at a smaller company I would still go the same route. Say you've gone as far as you can in the company and are unable to learn or grown anymore - then further emphasize that isn't a bad thing (since that happens all the time in small companies) but you are looking for a change and feel that their company is a great fit. I would then also talk about how you didn't want to focus on sales, which is where your previous employer was moving the company towards.

Positive things about your job include the skills that you've obtained while working there (patients :), customer service, technical skills, learning the latest technology).

I think that the current line that I am going to use is

"6 months ago, the business was sold. The new boss is wanting to move the direction more towards 'box moving' as appose to selling and supporting solutions. Although I don't mind sales, box moving does not excite me. I challange. I perfer to offer some thing that will work and not be that person that washes my hand of any responibilty the second the cleint walks out of the door."

I would limit it to a new ownership and a change in your job description. Don't say anything about "responsibility", "washing of the hands" or "disapproval of". Those topics will not go good with a possible employer. Answer there questions but don't elaborate. Your allowed to ask questions also, try to shift the interview to the "new" job and what you'll do to benefit them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom