Hello Everyone ! Professional Feedback Please !

JenniferJ

Beta member
Hello Everyone.

I am hoping I can get some experienced feedback from the professionals who have been there and done it and are currently doing it in the workforce as of today. Or any great advice will be greatly appreciated!

So, I graduated with a Business degree and I am just working a regular desk job that I don't really hate (as it pays the bills) at the same time, I feel like I can venture out to better opportunities or even a different career in Information Technology. I got some quick responses from e-mail from college professors and professionals, but there answers aren't very specific and I even have a family member who is involved in this field (which led me to have interest), but I feel like his certification is "outdated" in terms of what I need to pursue first at this current stage.

I am in no means to wanting to start from the top, but i want to do things step by step if it means opportunities in better advancement and also a career I might enjoy better than a regular desk job. SO ! my main question is - what is the best way to start at this current stage if I am looking to have a change in my career into the IT field.

1) What certification do I pursue first if I am interested in doing database or security

2) Is it realistically possible to study or take classes to prepare for these certificates while having a full-time job (assuming this is not a easy task for the IT professionals who have done it before)?

3) I don't really have any computer experience (I know my basic stuff working with my own computer for personal use) but I am willing to learn through hands-on training or internships if that is the first steps to getting into this career field.

Sorry for the long post - but any great experienced feedback will be greatly appreciated !

Jennifer

what is the best way to start at this current stage if I am looking to have a change in my career into the IT field.
Try to narrow down exactly what you want to do in the IT field. This will help you determine what steps to take next. Since you have mentioned databases, that implies that you may have an interest in software development. You also mentioned security. These are diverse fields, and the first steps for each are different.

2) Is it realistically possible to study or take classes to prepare for these certificates while having a full-time job (assuming this is not a easy task for the IT professionals who have done it before)?
Yes, as long as you have the motivation.

Back
Top Bottom