Hardware tech job security?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Celtic_Tiger

Baseband Member
Its a dilema I and im guessing a lot of peope face when they have to pick the direction for their career is it to be hardware or networking??

I assume that their is a higher career progression for some one involved in networking (MCSE and above) than there is for the hardware technician (PC assembly, troubleshooting, cable installation etc). and that in the end the money is better for a network administrator than a hardware tech.

In years past it was viable to pay some one to fix your computer or install the ram for you. nowadays people can do a lot of this themsleves and if a part fails they simply buy another one, also laptops may now be outselling desktops and they require skill in electronics to repair which was not part of my A+ exam. Is there a good future for PC hardware techs?

I think that you will find the money is in network administrator positions in comparison to hardware techs. Job security ? Well, I also think network administrators, system administrators, etc. have good job security - once you are in that is. But even some of those job types are feeling the effects of the changing global economy.

Are you located in the US ? Here is a link to something relative to what you are talking about at the Bureau Of Labor Statistics. There is some info there you might find interesting. I hope it helps.

Network techs is where the money is going to be when comparing hardware tech to network techs. You are right, 10 years ago most people would not open up there computers (if they had them) and install ram, but today there are a ton of people that can and do this.

I think you are looking at this 'issue' from the wrong angle. I'm assuming you are either young, computer savvy, or both. You have to realize most people aren't this. Well maybe young but not hardware savvy. In fact the vast majority are not, and if you asked say 10 random people if they knew what RAM was or how to install RAM, **** even what to purchase probably 7 or so would be clueless. Then of the 3 probably one or two would meck up the installation (seriously seen people work on installing RAM for an hour before calling a tech).

So is the hardware tech going to the wayside? I doubt it, there will alwasy be a market for that, just like people that fix cars. Could I change my own oil? Ya, but I'd rather pay 30 bucks to have someone else do it for me. The same goes for installing computer components, the vast majority of people don't know how to do it or where to start, of those people that do a lot may not even want to do it b/c they would rather have a trained professional install the hardware (be in cars, computers, painting a room in a house, etc).

So my belief is the hardware tech will always be around, but the salary level of that technician will be greatly reduced over the next 10 or so years and more and more people become computer savvy.

Do me a favor, just go to your local best buy (if you have one) and go to the Geek squad counter on a saturday and just see how many people come there with the simplest of problems.

To answer questions, I live in Ireland, Im not young Im 35 and my first PC was a dragon 32k! (but then 30 is the new 20 right ;). I have decided to completely change career from my old job and get into IT. So far I have done my City & Guilds, A+, net+, mcp 70-290 and other minor exams. Which I see as a start now I need to pick my direction.

Of course I would wish to know it all but ... So I wish to get a good appreciation of networking but I prefer working with hardware but I would follow networking if thats the only chance of a well paid job so i am trying to be well rounded in places other than my mid section.

What I was refering to was the IT job status in a decade or so as I dont want to follow a dead end. Whats the farthest one can go with hardware eg. Server+ onwards? what career path would be wise? Is it viable to do a bit of both?

Thanks

I believe the natural progression would be from a hardware / desktop support to networking and server support. A desktop support / helpdesk position will only net (this is the US and in the midwest) about 30 to 40 thousand a year. There is room to move there, but not much. So unless you are happy with that type of income for the rest of your life (most would not) your natural progression would be into networking and/or server support. Check the other thread in this section, i briefly talk about it.

http://www.techist.com/forums/f42/desktop-support-diploma-198311/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom