Is This A Good Route To Take?

Sylice613

Solid State Member
East Carolina University has this Information and Computer Technology program in which students can get interns at places like CISCO. I am going to major in this with a concentration in Computer Networking and a minor in Business Administration. While I am getting this degree and interning, I plan to get certifications such as CompTIA Network+, CCENT, CCNA, CCDA and CCNP (in that exact order).

This seems like a pretty good program, most of the students got "Co-op" positions at CISCO and are currently working in the I.T field.

Here it is:
http://www.ecu.edu/cs-tecs/techsystems/upload/BS_in_ICT_14_flyer.pdf

I hope to become a Network Engineer. What entry level jobs would lead up to me becoming one?

I am going for the Computer Networking Concentration.

That is a solid plan. If you get all of those certifications you'll have lots of job opportunities.

I would definitely try to get a job in IT during the past year of your studies even if just part time. Experience goes a long way and you would be suprised how many employers prefer experience over certificates.

That'll work - However, I would hold off on the CCNP until you've been working with Cisco devices for a while in a production environment. A CCNP is supposed to be a seasoned network engineer and getting certified above your skill/experience level can backfire in a bad way.

Back
Top Bottom