Going crazy, losing confidence, need some help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

kmdcomp

Beta member
Hey everyone, my first post here and it's pretty long. I'm completely self taught in the IT field and have about 12 years of experience split between tech work and network setup and administration, I also know how to do some basic programming in java, VB, and PHP. The first time I set up a server and domain, it was at a customer's place of business; you can imagine how well that went. I've learned a lot since then, but never had any formal training or even anything like a mentor to work under. When something goes wrong or needs to be set up, I hit Google or post to various tech forums to get me through. This has worked well in the past, but my workload has increased dramatically over the last year and I need some advice on where I should focus the time I have available to pick up new skills and become a proper network administrator.

I've been at the same place, a small medical clinic, for going on 7 years now as a one man IT show. If it has a cord attached to it, they bring it to me and expect me to be able to support it. I do the day to day desktop support, all hardware purchases and setup, 2008 sbs and 2007 exchange support, telephony, database and website administration, BES admin, backup management, manage our patient information system, IT budgeting, reports, any audio/visual setup, conference call setup, HIPPA compliance as it applies to IT and network security, develop IT policies and procedures, and just about anything else you can think of that could come up at a 2 building medical clinic with 2 physical servers, 50 workstations running xp and win 7, a dozen or so laptops in the field, a handful of droid/blackberry smartphones, and 6 to 7 remote users. I work about 50 hours per week and spend about 5 to 10 hours per week in meetings.

It wasn't much of hassle when we only had about 30 people, but we have added more than 20 people and associated equipment over the last year, and I'm starting to feel like I'm stretched too thin. I just don't feel like I have the skills or background to properly administer this network anymore. I'm probably the ultimate example of the phrase "jack of all trades, master of none" and I'm constantly being challenged to become an instant expert on one subject or another that I've never dealt with before and probably won't ever again.

The executive staff and users have enormous confidence in me, but my confidence in myself is starting to wane and I don't like the feeling. It's reached a point where come into work, sit down, and don't have the slightest idea of what I should be focusing on anymore. I can look around my office and notice a dozen things that need to be done, but can't decide what should be the priority. Luckily, that doesn't last long as the phone will soon ring and one crisis or another will eat up half the day.

I'm feeling pretty lost right now, and could use some input from people under similar loads and how they organize their time. Should I be shopping for books, taking classes? Work would pay for either.

They have mentioned getting me an assistant, but having never had one before, I'm not sure I would know how to use one to best effect or if I should even need one at all.

First off - sounds like you are doing a great job. You've been supporting that company for a while now and it seems that you know what you are doing. If you didn't know what you were doing there would be absolutely no way you could 'fake' it for that long of a time, your boss and co workers have confidence in you because you know what you are doing.

As for the 'jack of all trades', i think that is what happens usually when you work in IT at a small company. There is really no way around it. A smaller company isn't going to hire one person for desktop support, on for server administration and another for network administration - they expect that one person to do it all. While you are looking at this with a negative light - i'd honestly look at it as a good thing. You are able to do network / server administration things while still being able to do the hands on stuff like desktop support. At your job i'd be afraid to focus on one thing, because once you do you may not be proficient enough at say desktop support to do your job - which may make you look as if you can't support your current clients.

While I don't know a tone about network administration I do know a decent enough amount about server administration - if you are wanting to get to know more about server administration you could start studying towards your MCITP: Enterprise Administrator. This would give you the know-how to properly administer server 2008. Two other areas could be your CCNA - this would give your more of a networking know-how of how to properly setup a network.

Lastly, in your position the thing that I believe would most benefit you is looking into getting a ITIL (google it) certification. This is more of a best practices and how to properly administer and implement IT solutions. The reason I think this will help you best in your current role is because you already have the know-how to do your job, the ITIL foundations will give you the know-how of the 'proper' way to run an IT department.

All three exams can be taken through classes, boot camps or you could just read a few books and take the exams. Either way realize this is only my opinion, i don't know the specifics of your situation, so take my advice with a grain of salt. Hopefully a few others can chime in.

working 50 hours a week is a lot, and if it were me, it wouldn't really give me much of an opportunity to take any kind of formal education with the end goal of becoming a more rounded system admin. What I would do if I were in your situation, if you really want to master more skills, is talk to your employeers and basically say to them what you just said to us. Since they've almost doubled their staff in the past year I would venture to say that they are doing well financially, and I would see if they would consider hiring a part time person to oversee some of the small day to day tasks like managing end users pc's. That would allow you mainly to focus on the server upkeep and would allow you more time to learn about new things that they throw at you.

It seems like you're just stressed out because you need about 25 hours a day to do what you need to do. So I think if you can have someone else to take some of the load off of you, you can really focus on becoming a jack of all trades and master of many, be that through increased time doing your own personal learning (which if you're doing everything you are based off of google and hands on, then I think that may be the best way for you to do things) or it could give you flexibility to take night classes or something without it taking up any personal time you have left.

Just know that however stressed and overwhelmed you feel, and i'm sure many people would agree with me, the amount of knowledge that you have to have to do the things that you're job description now includes is impressive. And just remember that you're not superman and at some point their IT needs are going to exceed what one person can feasibly do without working 24/7.

****. Where to begin.

Hello everyone. I'm new to this forum also. Just registered. Found this thread by coincidence after typing "Confidence as a Network Admin" from Google. Don't ask me why. I just did.

Anyhoo. . .

kmdcomp:
I feel for you. I really do. I'm in the same line of work. Been at it for 9 years now. Went to school for an entirely different degree, then attended one of those trade schools, and wham here I am. In between was Help Desk Part time, Help Desk Full time, Network Admin I, and finally IT Manager. Worked my way up so to speak.

Working at a different company from where I started. And really have to say, I love what I do. There's moments (sometimes more often than not) where I'm about to pull a "Wayne Brady" on someone. (Think Wayne Brady skit on Dave Chappelle ala Training Day.) But all in all, I consider myself very lucky. Worked hard at it; but you always need luck.

I'm also the only person in my department. We number almost 60 users, about 10 sales reps in the field. I handle the computers, servers, network infrastructure, printers, and dabble a bit on the website. I do all Tier 1 (Help Desk) to Tier 3 (IT Manager) functions including purchasing & deployment, policies and procedures and some facility work. Heck I even ran cable at a few drops and did a few office moves and installs over the past 3 years. Sometimes I even double as the on-site ergo person. Meaning I saw/heard/got reported a physical problem - contacted a "Facilities" friend of mine - and called an ergo company for solutions.

Like you, I'm fortunate enough to be placed in a position of trust by the owners, managers, and users. And I try my best to treat everyone equally regardless of position, function, or temperament. The one thing I try to keep in mind is to stay away from being "that IT guy who's totally a jerk but we really depend on him."

The biggest challenge I see, which reading your post really brought home, was the aspect of being the ONLY person. If you watch House (tv show), you'll see he needs people to bounce ideas off. So do we. I personally feel panicky sometimes by being isolated in a task or a project with no input from anyone save the wall in my office or internet forums. It's difficult to find "inspiration" somewhere not to mention the second step of wondering if an idea for a fix/project/solution (which could cost quite a bit) is even needed or a good idea. Not to mention this IT rat race of ours evolves so quickly. So we can't even get out there and keep an ear on the ground.

I'm working on getting an assistant also. I have DEFINITE ideas on the type of person I would be looking for. And I have trained help desk personnel in the past. The simplest, and most tediously boring, thing to remember is . . .DOCUMENTATION. Document the steps to solve a task, prepare a computer, set up a user, etc etc. Keep these docs (pols and procs) up to date and USE THEM. So when you get your assistant, there'll be less confusion in the long run and there's less arguments.

One of the things I've "discovered" recently was a simple Excel sheet detailing IT Projects & Daily Tasks. The sheet is shared read only and published as a link on my email signature. Anyone can open it and see for instance what you're doing all the time. The second and really useful aspect of the excel sheet, besides keeping track of actions, is the organization of myriad projects and NEED TO DO STUFF that keeps cropping up. Less stress on the brain and far easier to use than paper and pen. The LAST thing. . . .reports.. . . .play around with PIVOT tables on your data. I recently got this from a buddy who was a Project Manager. It really works.

Keep your chin up. And good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom