Going to College and Need help Picking Major

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cr@Zie

Solid State Member
well ive had this thing with computers for a long time...and i love all the amazing things it can do...and i wanna further expand my knowledge on computers...

and since im a senior in high school i plan to go to college and major somewhere in the computer area...but im not sure specifically what to major in...

currently im taking A+ Certification Courses at a vocation training center for free...

so can anybody help me find what careers out there that are high paying because money means a lot...

oh yeah im not sure which college to go to do my major in...i think i might plan to go to ITT Tech...unless there are other universities i can go to...

thanks in advance

salary survey
http://mcpmag.com/salarysurveys/

a couple points to keep in mind

you prolly dont have to declare a major until junior year. thi will still allow you to get the liberal arts classes out of the way; math, english, reading, etc.

you should look into a school with ABET acredition www.abet.org

you may be able to find a university or college that has programs setup for students transferring from a community college. this could save you some cash.

ic thanks for the info...so i can declare my minor also my junior year also?

oh yeah so those liberal classes is like taking my high school courses all over again?

not sure if im going to go to a community college because i plan to go to a UC because...and apply for financial aid...

also all i see is only:
Computer Science
Computer Engineering Technology

^so what are those about? cuz i have no clue what they are....

oh yeah do you know what types of jobs atm that are in need...cuz like right when i get my major i wanna get a job...

is it smart or a good idea to major in computer then minor in business than take an rotc class to be an officer at the Airforce and just expand my knowledge on computers over there?

Cr@Zie said:
ic thanks for the info...so i can declare my minor also my junior year also?

oh yeah so those liberal classes is like taking my high school courses all over again?

not sure if im going to go to a community college because i plan to go to a UC because...and apply for financial aid...

also all i see is only:
Computer Science
Computer Engineering Technology

^so what are those about? cuz i have no clue what they are....

oh yeah do you know what types of jobs atm that are in need...cuz like right when i get my major i wanna get a job...

is it smart or a good idea to major in computer then minor in business than take an rotc class to be an officer at the Airforce and just expand my knowledge on computers over there?

That guy is misinformed. Most credits from community colleges do not transfer and even if you go to a crappy school which accepts them you will only be able to transfer over 30 creds which is a limit at any state school. Besides most liberal arts schools only have 30 liberal arts creds anyway????? But if you go to a good school you will not be taking any ******** classes :)

Quantum Bit said:
That guy is misinformed. Most credits from community colleges do not transfer and even if you go to a crappy school which accepts them you will only be able to transfer over 30 creds which is a limit at any state school. Besides most liberal arts schools only have 30 liberal arts creds anyway????? But if you go to a good school you will not be taking any ******** classes :)

shyea, misinformed. thats why a four year school transferred 67 credits from my community college. I could have followed programs to other schools as well. Talk to people in your admissions office.

csamuels said:
shyea, misinformed. thats why a four year school transferred 67 credits from my community college. I could have followed programs to other schools as well. Talk to people in your admissions office.

... Next time read my post. I was generalizing and said any good school/most etc. I do not think the guy is planning to go to a liberal arts school to get an engineering or computing degree. :) What school do you go to? state school? If you go to some no name nonaccreddited school then they are allowed to do what ever they want, but if the school wants accrediations (ABET) then they have to follow specific rules that the association puts forth.

DO NOT make your major computer technical support. I went back to college for that in 2002, graduated 2004. when I went into college in 2002, people that were graduating in May were getting hired in january. In 2004, when I graduated, all the tech support jobs went to India.
So, ive been trying for 2 freakin years to get a IT job. Know what the latest is? the employers now tell me Ive been out of college FOR TO LONG!

Good luck.

TheeOx said:
DO NOT make your major computer technical support. I went back to college for that in 2002, graduated 2004. when I went into college in 2002, people that were graduating in May were getting hired in january. In 2004, when I graduated, all the tech support jobs went to India.
So, ive been trying for 2 freakin years to get a IT job. Know what the latest is? the employers now tell me Ive been out of college FOR TO LONG!

Good luck.

ah i knew it...someone told me that taking an IT as a major is going to be hard...

man know i dont know what to major in...

how bout major in IT then go to the Airfoce and do a tech job there...while getting paid...then when done w/ your time find a real job...iono thats what im thinking

also minor in business...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom