getting in the computer field

Status
Not open for further replies.

gula187

In Runtime
im thinking...well want to get into the computer field if my trucking career fall through, i been wanting to drive trucks for a long time but im also real good with computers to say i never went to any school for it..i was my best friend mom told me i know more about computers than most of the people thats in her class but my question will i be able to get a decent job from taking online classes?

With any trade it will take a bit more then online classes especially in any of the technical trades. Besides formail schooling and even things like an IT A+ certification you will need references and even an internship before seeing any higher income.

Once schooled you may decide to start up your own small business at first which will obviously take some capital. That can be quite risky as well as seeing a good startoff depending on establishing a customer base and a good rep!

Agreed, I have formal training in IT (computer information systems) major for 2 years, then switched to HR. I have my A+ and MCP and it has been EXTREMELY difficult getting a job in the IT field w/ little work history.

Your best bet is to start off with schooling, if you are going to get an associates or bachelors then finish schooling and try to get part time jobs at computer shops or an internship at a help desk. If you AREN'T getting a formal degree then try to get some core certifications like A+, Net+, and possibly an MCP. At that point you'll have to gear your certifications towards your individual area.

I say go for it, just realize it isn't as easy as it may seem. You can't take one or two classes in hopes of making 45k plus a year in IT, like I said I've been trying to get into IT for about two months and i'm having difficulty getting entry level help desk positions making 30k a year because my only IT experience at work was back in 2002.

So go to school, get your degree. Or go to school and try to get some certifications. While doing that work part time or full time doing some computer support for a company so you can have some solid work experience.

Another major factor at this time trying to get into just about any field is the slowed economy where you are seeing more layoffs then new hires! Hopefully that see will see a large turn around. It's still going to tough for the time being.

I too am planning on going back to school for IT work, I received a half scollership for an MBA a few yrs back based off my test scores, but I didn't have the money to cover the other half, but I wasn't interested in an MBA as this requires tons of math which is not my strongest subject nor is diction ;) but I plan on researching more Gov grants/loans.

I was also invited to a Cisco class which was offered @ the local Tech University, but was told it was just a cert class and would not be somthing that would land me a job on it's own. other schooling would be esential. so I have to start out with computers 101 before taking cert classes.

It certainly isn't any easy task to start with. I've known a few people that ended traveling practically coast to coast looking for a new position when getting displaced with years of experience under the belt.

Another factor that weighs in is the location. There are some strong technology based centers while too many other locations are nothing but barren wastelands for opportunities.

right now im pretty happy with my job working with Geek Squad. i had to go to an online class for a year and go to a computer university for 2. The job pays around 50,000-70,000 a year

right now im pretty happy with my job working with Geek Squad. i had to go to an online class for a year and go to a computer university for 2. The job pays around 50,000-70,000 a year

You must have been with them awhile now, I read some time back that they were listed in the top 25 for worse entery level jobs to have, that they start you out making 25k and work you to death.

You sound like this is not the case, and that is a good sign for anyone that wants to get into the field, a positive thing for me as I can take my passion and make a career out of it.

Yes I have a dream, to one day rise above, using my brain instead of my brawn to earn a living.

Here is what I am doing at the moment, I am going to night school for my new civillian certs (all my current certs where issued by the MOD and are about to expire) then I am distance learning with a very popular uni to get my MSc in Computer security science.

Here is what I am doing at the moment, I am going to night school for my new civillian certs (all my current certs where issued by the MOD and are about to expire) then I am distance learning with a very popular uni to get my MSc in Computer security science.

Going for everything all over I guess. That's always fun! :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom