Geek Squad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would take it and gain some experience from it. Make your resume more appealing when you want another IT job later down the road.

BTW: VanyDotK your sig is way too long.

As long as you know your stuff and can prove it to an interviewer, you can get a better job without a college degree.

I'm to prove for that. My first IT job was as a tech jocky for city hall in my hometown, and I've only gone up from there.

I've only heard bad experiences with geek squad from a customer end, and it sounds like working for them is worse.

If you're talking about small computer jobs that dont require a college degree then you're certainly right. But most "good" computer jobs require a four year degree and will not even look at if you don't meet the requirements. One person doesn't prove a statistic :).

I agree though some people do meet the right people and get lucky.

It also depends on the Best Buy you are applying at. Some could care less about the A+ certification and hire solely based on your social charm and whether or not you have friends already on the squad. Like was mentioned above, that ties back into the store management and how some stores are managed much better than others.

Don't waste your time at a place like the Geek Squad. They do very little in terms of real IT and you will have virtually no networking (with other professionals I mean) opportunities there.

The problem with an job like this, aside from what I've read here by the knowledgable employees, is that you are not actually supporting anyone. Sure, you're fixing PCs but that is not where the value lies in IT. You'll need to grow skills in desktop support, troubleshooting networking issues, and simply being in an office environment.

I've been an IT manager for 4 years now with tech/engineer experience before that of 5 more years. When I look at a resume, experience at the Geek Squad is less useful than someone who answered phones in a real office.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom