Game career..

Status
Not open for further replies.

ricslik71

Baseband Member
im not too sure what classes would be required, but i wanna do something with graphic designs in games or game testing. anyone have some ideas of requirments?

Heyyo,

Now, for game testing? that's like, a low-pay job. Like minimum wages. Usually part-time as well. It's a good job as you train for your final job as whatever.. Now, there's several types of people who work in game creation. Here are some main ones:

- Programmers (AI, physics, game engine, weapons.. they pretty much put everyone's work together into a final product)

- 3D Modelers (they create the player models, the weapon models.. vehicles... trees, etc)

- Mappers (create maps obviously.. last I heard 3D Realms was hiring more mappers.. for Duke Nukem Forever? lol, douptful.. sadly :( )

- Texturers (they create textures, like the metallic look of the catwalks, player model's eyes, skin colors, clothes colors.. etc)

- 3D animators (heh, I gotta bud going into this field who just got hired to make a game! Jul man, if I ever get a PSP I'd soo buy your game, n' say "omgz! look at liek, the animations, lol.. Jul, lay off the coke man.." ain't I a nice bud? :D anywho, animators make the animations, like player's walking, player's fighting.. etc)

- Story writers (I actually know another dude who's going into this. Works for activision, and he's a cool dude, he's punk.. and I'm not at least not yet.... lol...)

- Quality-assurance (aka beta-testers. They play builds of the game n' try to find bugs. So they don't generally play the games, they scavenge for errors. Good eg. was for Halo, beta-testers found lots of clipping issues with the player model's heads going through the roofs. They even mention this in that old halo vid that showed the evolution of Halo)

Hmm, that pretty much wraps it up man. If you play your fav game, watch the credits. There's obviously a few more positions like PR n' marketing.. but I was just mentioning the main ones you'll probably wanna go for. ;)

For requirements? nowadays you can't get into any company unless you have diploma's or a certificate. Same goes for game development man. It'll cost you a lot, but hey, if you're gonna make damn good cash for many-a-year to come? it's worth the tuition. :)

Me bud who's gonna be a 3D animator took his courses at a place called "Art Institute of Vancouver". Smart dude. Vancouver's actually a pretty good place to get into the 3D computer animation feild. We have EA North, Radical entertainment, Mainframe entertainment.. and you never know if a few other smaller ones are gonna pop up outta nowhere. ;)

ya im going to indiana university bloomington as a freshman this fall and i know IU isnt a top school for game designers, but computer science, informatics, and graphic design are the only majors they got so will these 3 areas be able to lets say "get me on the next halo credits or HL2 credits"? i recently looked more into this career and im seeing i should have gone to ITT tech. will i have to transfer?

Heyyo,

computer science is usually for computer systems repair.

havn't heard of informatics...

graphic design? ask them more about this. It could be it. If they say stuff like 3d animation, 3d modeling.. it's good.

But AI of vancouver rocks. Lol, me bud really enjoyed his first day, they did live drawing.. like, hot model chick n'... you get the idea, lol. Too bad there's none of that as a computer technician. :(

You could take Graphic Design and make the logos, website, banners, etc. for games.

Heyyo,

Right, the artists! the ones who create manuals for games n' websites.. heh, left them out by accident. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom