Four Year vs Tech School vs Certification

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you feel like you must get a cert or two, get your A+ and Network+. My A+ will promote me to Bench Tech 2 once I get it. What's funny is that even if you just do help desk work, changing passwords all day and nothing else, it counts as experience to an employer even if you didn't learn jack, strangely enough.

I would say the way to go with IT is a 2 year degree and a few certs A+ is very well recognized in this field and the Network+ is very well recognized look at job postings depending on what you want to do depends on the type of school you should have. If you just wanna fix PCS then tech school and A+ will work for you if you want to be Director of Technology 4 year might be the way to go.

I agree, my plans are different in the way of experience/employer first, then go the way of schooling. I have some credits already built up, but I have some falliaces that keep me from finishing school. I have extreme difficulty with Algebra and I've repeated a non-credit algebra course 3 times, even with help from a tudor on the last attempt. After that and forced overtime during a midterm for Data Comm 2 that made me fail despite having a formal letter from the head of our contract stating I absolutely couldn't be there, the professor refused to honor it. With studying for certs, I can do it on my own time and improve my chances of employment, and they would offer programs that allow me to return to school without the obvious conflict of interest. To Each His Own. Do whatever works for you, I just hope everyone else doesn't have to waste time and money trying to get it done.

To the kid that's 15...I'm getting a bit of experience right now with an internship paid through my college. Most likely, in your school's IT department you will have this opportunity. We can't fill all of our intern positions here. I'm going to start working on my certifications here shortly so I'll have experience, education, and certs when I graduate :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom