Four Year vs Tech School vs Certification

Status
Not open for further replies.

unsuiwarrior

Solid State Member
So just a question for those of you in the field. I'm curious about what the best path is to break into the industry. I already do quite a bit of tech work on the side, but have never taken any classes or certifications and thus the real jobs are not open to me. So now I'm left to decide whether to pursue a traditional four year college degree, go to a tech school, or just man up and start getting some COMPTIA certifications. Three different paths and I would imagine three different outcomes. Any recommendations? I think I'd like to get into the networking side of things, maybe with a focus on security. I'm open to learn just about whatever though.

I'm not working in the industry (waiting for job placement, already hired) currently but based on what I'm understand from friends who actually have broken into the industry and what I learned from here is that you must have previous working experience in the field. It's funny seeing all these jobs listed as "Entry Level" but require a degree, equivalent certification with experience, or raw experience. A friend of mine does not know as much about computers as I do, he got a help desk job just changing passwords, and he went right into a Deployment Tech 2 position making 60k. No certs, no degree, just PRIOR EXPERIENCE. It didn't matter to them. I have a lot more experience and a certification, but no working job experience and I'm offered a Bench Tech 1 slot at 50K. We are offered higher salaries because we possess security clearances, so don't go into it expecting that.

This is my plan so don't take it for gospel or a surefire way to get into the industry. I've already gotten my Network+ and I'm currently working on my A+. After that, I'm jumping into CCENT to prepare for the CCNA. I don't know what I'm going to do after that but it's a goal to work toward. What you will be tested on for the CompTIA exams is leaned toward your intimate knowledge of the subject plus critical thinking. The questions I knew right away were ones where I had the same exact issue and I knew the fix. Others require memorization, like protocols and associated port numbers, just a couple of the many things you'll need to know. You need more then study guides, you'll need hands on and maybe even a teacher. Good mentors in this field can truly bridge the gaps. If you can't take the classes, find a more knowledgeable friend who would be willing to teach you or maybe just answer your questions.

In conclusion, I agree with most of the guys here when they say employers will take experience over a guy with just a cert or two and no experience. But experience with a cert is better. Social networking is the best way to go. You got a friend in the industry? See if he can't pull a few strings for you, but to keep him from looking like a weiner, you need to have a strong and genuine interest in the field. I hope this helps a bit.

Experience trumps all. I used to be a chef. I would take a guy who had a year line experience over any culinary school grad any day of the week. Unfortunately I'm noticing the tech world is a little harder to get into lol. I'll do it though. Lately I've been thinking about just studying at home and getting some certifications so I can get my foot in the door. I'm not too worried about doing well and moving up, just getting in. All my techie friends have moved out of state/country so I'm on my own for this one.

All should be coupled with each other... not "this versus this versus this versus that"

My entire career has been based off of a social network. My father taught me from the ground up starting with computers (it was either follow the lead network engineer of Alcoa's footsteps or join the Air Force :( ) ... Shortly after that, short wave radios...then ham radios...then more computers. I never graduated from college, but have found my life dealt with a never-ending chain of self-study, certifications, and social networks (including family) It's just a matter of what to do first... this is going to be different for everyone. For instance, once I failed out of college, I was given the opportunity to go into the hotel industry. As the front office manager, I knew a lot about everything....the phone system, the HVAC system...everything. There, still reading about operating systems, I completely screwed with the Novell 3.11 backbone of the resort one day and costed the IT director A LOT of work. Thankfully, he was the only one in the department and needed help getting the resort back together. Through helping him, I gained a lot of knowledge and he offered me a position within the IT department. Once there is was all bus and token-ring (Ethernet was just coming out)

One thing lead to another and here I am today. So, It's always slammed together and all extremely important, just for you to choose at which point in your life to go for which part.

You need education, you would benefit from certifications, you need real experience and social benefits in this day in age are a +++....

So, in my opinion, it's not a matter of VERSUS... it's a matter of WHEN. And the answer is going to be different for everyone.

My answer was "42"...go figure :confused:

So, in my opinion, it's not a matter of VERSUS... it's a matter of WHEN. And the answer is going to be different for everyone.

My answer was "42"...go figure :confused:

That's some Deep Thought. :D

I'm definitely looking forward to learning at on multiple levels and being in a career that is constantly evolving and reshaping itself. I'm thinking I might start with a certification or two, but I would definitely like the degree. I almost applied to Westwood College a week ago, that is until Google taught me the difference between national and regional accreditation. So it's off to the local community college I go. It actually sounds quite fun to be honest. I was quite bored in High School, so I failed utterly. I'm hoping I'll be able to apply myself this time.

I have found that many corporations require a degree. Some require a 4 yr degree. IT jobs run the gamut when it comes to what they require. Some want the 4 yr degree. They say it shows dedication. Some require 5+ yrs experience, some want certs. Research the companies you would like to work for and see what they require. Decide if you want to work there long term or just for a short while. Then you can plan your next step. Maybe you get a 2 yr degree and a cert or two and land a decent job. Go back to school, get the 4 yr degree and another cert or two and hit the boss for bigger things. Or put the resume out there with your new info. More framed paper on your wall=more money in your pocket. Experience is something that can't be measured except in time and some employers are reluctant to let you prove what you can do. One of my instructors had 5 years experience in a 1000+ user network managing about 10 different servers. His experience wasn't really worth jack because they were all already set up and configured by someone else and all he did was babysit them and the users all day. They see the degree as proof even though all your experience may be in a lab environment. Take a crappy tech job to get the experience even if it's just repairing PC's or answering the phone at a tech support line.

It depends on what you see in your future. With a university degree, you have chance at climbing the ladder and be a manager someday even. WIth the other two, its almost impossible. University education keeps your options open. Other categories, do not. They allow you to do a job - but might limit your career growth.

Experience trumps all. I used to be a chef. I would take a guy who had a year line experience over any culinary school grad any day of the week.

This is only true sometimes. Some managers will hire experience over talent if the job doesn't involve much problem solving and thinking etc. and just depends on experience. An extreme example is that if a project is due soon, you don't want a new grad coming in who needs a longer learning curve. I personally know of someone who graduated from a top techie US university who got a job over a much more experienced guy simply b/c of the school my friend went to - even though the other guy did better during the interview due to his experience.

The new grad might be smarter and have much more talent than the veteran. Give him a two/three months, and he might be better than the old guy if the projects you are working on requires some innovation.

There are 4 main categories of people I think: {veteran, smart}, {veteran, not smart}, {new grad, smart}, {new grad, not smart}. A veteran who is smart will be VERY expensive. You probably can't afford him. He'll be at Google or Amazon making a lot of $$.. And I am SURE you don't want a new guy who is stupid. So, its a contest between the other two categories..

I have a lot more experience and a certification, but no working job experience and I'm offered a Bench Tech 1 slot at 50K. We are offered higher salaries because we possess security clearances, so don't go into it expecting that.

50k per year? are cert easy to get? will i be able to get cert if im a teenager (im currently 15 and planning on starting to get some cert next year in texas)? will cert look good in my college application or is it just to have more stuff in the application? how about the numbers of languages is it good for jobs, college, or both?

Unfortunately I'm noticing the tech world is a little harder to get into lol.

what do u mean by that?

yeah. experience is key. if you can get a job working at like circuit city or best buy, and then show interest in the computer support and kinda show them you know a thing or two about it, like just pop by and help them out, then that will show that they should give you a chance, and maybe you'll catch a break and be able to do that. i know i caught a break and got a job as a 16 year old, and worked for 6 months, so that will help a lot if i want to get a tech job out of high school/college, not that i intend to, but if i want to the opportunity is there.

I'm planning on going to college for four years and get a bachelors. But im not entirely sure what field I am going to be going in. Computer networking seems to be a good one.

But I've always heard that it's almost impossible to get any decent paying job w/o a degree. But how are you supposed to get that experience with or w/o one? Just get lucky I guess?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom