fired for being colour blind

Status
Not open for further replies.

robina_80

Banned
i got fired bout 3 weeks ago for being colour blind when i was working as a data center technician, they said it was due to H&S issues, i can understand that due to wiring network cables and the different colour led combinations on panels, like fire alarms, air conditioning units etc etc but im ok with power cables as no problem there what so ever

also i was going to an interview tomorrow but first i had to see the job agency to give them a copy of my passport and sign up with them, however as i had been fired from my previous job i said this to them and they said that shouldnt come into the equation really unless yiou wanna be a pilot and guess what after leaving and about 20 min after i got a call from the agency and they said really sorry but the company dont want to see you no more due to your colour blind

takes the **** to say the least!!!!!

and my manager was like its an ilness or disability and i was straight up to him and said NO its not the same as me having one arm or 3 fingers

Hhmmmmmm, this is a bit of a sticky wikit.

They might have a legit case, as needing to see the proper colors can be a safety issue.

I'd definately gio to the labor board.

What level of color blind are you?

Most of the time it is just a few colors appear different, such as reds appearing orange, oranges look yellow, blues look green, etc.

So long as you know which colors are what in your vision, it should make no difference. Did you have problems with doing your job due to your color blindness? If not, then they have no reason to fire you. You can't fire someone just because they have an illness or disability, so if they say it is similar to that, sue them.

There are lawyers out there and professionals that would listen to your case for free to see if you do have a case. I will tell you though if you seeing color is needed for the job they can fire you for that. BUT what you need to do is get someone to go in, apply, and ask for a job description of the position you were doing. If on that discription it DOES NOT say 'needs to see color to complete job' then you can sue them.

none of the jobs said colour blind people not apply, so yeah i feel like sueing there arses but the data center technician did say know about network cabling

They aren't going to say 'color blind need not apply' because obviously that would cause all sorts of ruckis. But they can said being able to differentiate between colors is needed to perform the job.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom