iT field, Future or No Future?

Status
Not open for further replies.
CCNA = Cisco Certified Networks Associate
CCDA = Cisco Certified Data Associate?

Something like that, I believe.

Cisco is strictly networking for those certifications. They're quite hard, gotta know a lot about networking.

which ones better?
how long does the certification course take?

and i take it they cover net+?

what kinda peeps hiring ?

For the CCDA - Not sure.

For CCNA (here anyway) it's 2 years (4 semesters) of 3-hour-a-day classes (toldja it was hard) and no, they don't cover net+, it's assumed that you have networking knowledge already (like i said. that's here)

And I don't control the companies that hire, so I don't really know, you could check out monster.com or something! I'll be glad to help you look, but keep in mind job openings don't last two years.

I'm mostly getting networking stuff for computer security.

I wanna get the GIAC - www.giac.org

It's a monster.

Oh, and, CCNA first, CCDA second. CCNA gets you about 50,000 a year right off (without experience - just with the cert) I think the CCDA takes about a year longer than the CCNA.

IT Future

IT still has a future and will continue to grow...it's just about being diversed in many different areas of IT (jack of all trades). You will need to see the direction of IT and be able to jump on the bandwagon as soon as possible. The next big bang in IT will be "Security". With all these viruses, hacks, intrusions, and growing population of wireless users...security will be a highly profitable field. PC repair and Networking will always play a part of IT but the growing demand falls below because common users are more prepared and able to do-it themselves now. It's like the auto industry...an oil change once could cost about $50.00 or more but once it became so common and new technologies made it extremely simple the price dropped. Computers are not a foreign object any longer and many people are more aware of how they work and how to fix a simple problem. At one time not many people understood computers and would call or pay someone to fix a problem that only needed a reboot or something simple...today it's less common for someone to call for help on simple issues or to even set up a router in home to communicate with 2 or more computers. Times have changed and a true IT professional must change with the technology changes. Many companies/users are becoming or are dissapointed with all the exploits on Microsoft products. In all honesty I believe MCSE is a good way to go but that is a cert for a Microsoft professional...if Microsoft goes under at any time...(not that I believe it will happen) but that means that certification goes under as well and doesn't hold weight any longer but a cert like CISSP (certified information system security professional) is a gem and life-long acheivement.

that is what I have been thinking from the limited researches that I have been doing...

Security and Unix will be a dominant field in the future..

anyone agreeing with having a unix administration certificate will be 1 step ahead than having a MS certificate ?

Ken Masters said:
I'm not sure. I've just been told to hold off till Win2004 comes out.

2004 will include 2000, my 2000 class included win98, lol

but i seriosuly would look into network security, as everyone wants to be a network admin, but not nearly as many are going for security, there is only 1 CCIE (cisco security certification) in all of the company that i work for, so he is pretty important, that is the kind of thing im going to go for, but itll take prolly 4 years for that

Get all the certs you can in order from whats more inportant from a employers perspective. But if you know lots about networking and than broad knowlage in say computer builldins/repair you would look like a very good guy to choose because you can also fix say something that is causing the network to go down right but its a hardware problem or something like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom