Females in IT?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why are there relatively few females in IT?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I really don't want to sound misogynistic here, but frequently when you mix females and computers, you get a blank look or a look of terror. Why does this happen? Is the "IT Gene" just located on the Y chromosome?

Don't get me wrong, my counterpart at my current company is female and we get along great so I know that females do exist in IT - but why so few?

Maybe where you live this happens. But around here there is more female than male.

So no it is not anything to do with gender.

Could be. Could also be that the company is that way. They think that Males are better at the job. But it has nothing to do with Gender. I know many females that have just as much if not more knowledge than many people i meet online or in real life.

It may be strange to you. But for me it is strange that i know as much as i do and can hold my own with them. For me i am the outcast being a male.

It is all about LOCATION. Just like everything else in the world.

The South is still stuck in the old ways. They are slow to adapt to the new ways of women being equals. While here it is nothing new for a white male to be at home without a job while the female works.

While here it is nothing new for a white male to be at home without a job while the female works.

That would be FREAKING AWESOME. Maybe I need to move up there!

It's nothing strange here for both parents to be working full time - and being that I'm at insurance, 55 out of 60 employees are female. But it's pretty universal that down here, IT = Male, it's been true at all 4 of my IT posts so far.

I always find it so fascinating how things are different in other places.

Dont take that comment the wrong way Spark. With there being so few jobs around here now it is tough to be employed. At all.

If it wasnt for the fact that i was getting only 2 hours of sleep a day everyday i would still be working. If it wasnt for the fact that the wife makes enough to support me and the baby, i would be working.

It is not like i enjoy sitting home all day everyday. Cabin Fever is nasty. Espically after the winter.

Most of the time yes. But sometimes it is also a pain. Like when they dont want to go to sleep or stop crying for what ever reason. Yeah those times really wear on your patience levels. :p

Most of the time yes. But sometimes it is also a pain. Like when they dont want to go to sleep or stop crying for what ever reason. Yeah those times really wear on your patience levels. :p

Yeah, that's why I enjoy the fact that my best friend has kids and I have little cousins. I get to play with them and then give them back. I guess that's what grandparents do too?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom