Entry-level Help Desk: What to expect?

Wow I never realized that Security+ renewed A+ and Network+ (I got them a about a year apart so I'll probably wait until A+ expires). And that's a good point about CISA, I'm not even sure if I'd qualify for CISA - I'd have to look into that.

Yeah, the way it works with the renewable CompTIA certs is that you only need to renew the "highest" one that you have in order to renew them all. So if you have Net+ and A+, renewing your Net+ will also renew A+ because Net+ is the higher cert. It goes Security+ > Net+ > A+. Passing an exam for the first time will also renew lower certs.

Edit: I'm glad we are on the same path together! What other training or work are you doing to work towards infosec - if you don't mind me asking??
Right now I'm not doing a whole lot in regards to infosec. I'm working on getting my CCNA, and I'd like to get CCNA Security after that. From there I'll see where my work experience takes me. I do have a home VM lab but I haven't touched it for a while and I think my VMware license is close to expiring. I still need to learn more Linux and programming, but that's further down the line.

Even though I was working in an industry that didn't appeal to me at my current job, I still found it REALLY hard to give them my two week notice. I was just wondering if other people had experienced that.

Personally, I couldn't wait to get out of every job I've previously worked. Still, it was a bit daunting to leave behind the comfort of having been somewhere for a while and knowing everything. I think that's the way to go, though - once you start getting too comfortable, you need to challenge yourself and move on, or else you stagnate.

if you enjoy learning computer systems, you should do just fine. Learn as much as you can as soon as possible. Find people to buddy up with. Bounce ideas around. "Hey, why's XYZ system work?"

example calls.

HA! My password doesn't work. - check caps lock, is the account locked

This program won't start - what do you try to start it? maybe need to end process on all other processes with same name and then retry

my computer is slow - what are the memory levels? whats the cpu usage? Is the network congested?

you could pass the following link around for fun humor

FailDesk

That link is hilarious. I am in sort of the same boat as the creator of this thread. After reading this thread I feel much more at ease. This seems like most of what I deal with when fixing family and friends computer issues. It's usually pretty basic and if I can't think of it off the top of my head I can look it up on Google and find the solution within a few minutes.

Back
Top Bottom