Entry IT jobs and driving

ewh006

Solid State Member
I am a current student and have my a+ certification. I am looking to get into the networking field, and have already taken Cisco's Networking Academy, but have yet to certify. All the craigslist jobs I've looked at , nearly 9 of 10 of the listings require you to have reliable transportation. Whether this means 'have a good driving record', due to the company providing a vehicle, or 'have reliable transportation' , them wanting you to have your own transportation. I have no reliable transportation, and currently have a temporary suspension on my license for no insurance surcharges by the state of Texas. This will not always be a problem, but I'm in a position where it could be possible to obtain 'reliable transportation', but I need solid sources or whatnot to gain this 'reliable transportation'.

Is this common place for low level IT jobs like : Helpdesk, Site-Site Contract, Hardware Bench say at CompUSA or FRYs, or even cable jobs like Comcast, to require this kind of transportation. Let me know all info is greatly appreciated and will be for sure used in some way to benefit my cause.

ewh006

I would think that this would be a requirement. Look at it from the companies POV. They hire a technician to to do IT work (Generally speaking) but some of that work requires that person to drive to a client's business and work on a server, or POS, or something else that cannot be remotely logged into. If you cannot drive, that now requires someone else to handle your work load, since you can't drive. It also shows a little more responsibility to the employer that you can maintain yourself, and not become a burden to the company.

ewh006 said:
Is this common place for low level IT jobs like : Helpdesk, Site-Site Contract, Hardware Bench say at CompUSA or FRYs, or even cable jobs like Comcast, to require this kind of transportation. Let me know all info is greatly appreciated and will be for sure used in some way to benefit my cause.
Any job you apply for anywhere, especially at the lower level, is going to ask that you have reliable transportation. When you start moving up, they just take this as a given so they don't "specify" it anywhere.

Frankly, any business that doesn't stipulate this would be fools in my mind.

Most of the places, want to know about reliable transportation just for the fact of gauging if you can make it to "work" on time. They don't care about your driving record, except if you have a suspended license.

Last edited:
... Most of the places, want to know about reliable transportation just for the fact of gauging if you can make it to "work" on time. They don't care about your driving record, except if you have a suspended license.
Exactly. Companies don't want to hire someone that doesn't have a reliable way to get to work and that you won't constantly be late because of it.

How would you plan to get to work? Do you plan to take the bus, walk, ride a bike or what? If whatever mode you plan to use is reliable and can be counted on everyday to get you there on-time, then you can answer "Yes" to that question.

Nukem: That makes sense, although I have no feelings about whether that should be a norm or not.

Exactly. Companies don't want to hire someone that doesn't have a reliable way to get to work and that you won't constantly be late because of it.

How would you plan to get to work? Do you plan to take the bus, walk, ride a bike or what? If whatever mode you plan to use is reliable and can be counted on everyday to get you there on-time, then you can answer "Yes" to that question.

Well, the options you listed such as bus, bike, walk are all options, especially in the tri-state area, so are trains although on the more expensive side. I could really go into detail as to why I am in the situation I am in but it wouldn't be helpful as the explanation would be too long. I'm basically here to find repetitive posts on people saying that this is a normal occurence. My 'enabler' if you will, for some reason has yet to believe this is the case, that could be changing real soon though, hopefully. Thanks for the input guys keep it coming if you desire!

Having reliable transportation that is NOT a public form is the norm at least in the US (outside of BIG cities) A company that needs you to be mobile (and legal) would not want it any other way.

I actually just had an interview at a restaurant (PT work while I'm in school) and the manager asked if I had reliable transportation, which I do, but he felt he had to justify to me why he asked (maybe cause I'm 37), and told me that in the past he asked someone that same question and they said that they didn't have a car, but only live like a mile away and that they'll get to work no problem. Also the manager said that even if it's pouring out or 30 below zero (Minnesota here), he said, yup I'll be here!

So his first day it was pouring out, 15 minutes had passed before the manager decided to call him and the guy said, well it's pouring out and I don't want to get soaked! Needless to say, he no longer had a job there! LOL

I actually just had an interview at a restaurant (PT work while I'm in school) and the manager asked if I had reliable transportation, which I do, but he felt he had to justify to me why he asked (maybe cause I'm 37), and told me that in the past he asked someone that same question and they said that they didn't have a car, but only live like a mile away and that they'll get to work no problem. Also the manager said that even if it's pouring out or 30 below zero (Minnesota here), he said, yup I'll be here!

So his first day it was pouring out, 15 minutes had passed before the manager decided to call him and the guy said, well it's pouring out and I don't want to get soaked! Needless to say, he no longer had a job there! LOL

Haha ya I can say though had that been.me I would of made it .. I already walk on average 8 miles a week and a lot of time in rain. I stay having to de skunk my wet shoes or buy new ones :/

But that is just it. It is raining outside and your walking to work. You get soaking wet. Now they have a client come through and your look like you just got out of the shower in your clothes. Not a nice image to represent yourself or the company, is it? Which means having to keep a spare change of clothes there or bring them along in a waterproof bag.

But that also doesn't help if you catch a cold cause of it. Now cause of the fact you walked to work, you are now sick from being in an A/C cooled place all day in wet clothes. Now the company has to decide if it is worth the risk of you getting others sick or allowing you to take the time off cause your sick.

So while you may think that walking is "reliable" transportation you are not thinking of all aspects. If the company gets a call and has to send someone out, you will never be looked at. Since you cant drive anywhere. Even after the situation changes for you, they know you were a risk to have a suspended license and might not risk sending you out on such jobs due to this fact. Why should they risk their reputation let alone their insurance to cover you when you already are considered a risk.

It doesn't matter what the story is. You have a suspended license. You are a risk. That is the only thing that they see. The story means nothing to them just like the story didn't mean anything to the cops or judge when they suspended it.

So you only make it better for yourself to get all your things in line and back in order before you start a job search. That way the company wont think your a risk and you can make more money by going out and doing these jobs.

Thanks for the advice KSoD. Waiting to get everything in check is solid advice, as well as your weather walking analysis lol. I honestly could have everything set as far as having a valid license.. all it takes is 175 but I have yet to because of the facti still won't have a car or job :/ time to start thinking different I think

Back
Top Bottom