A+ enough?

basspro82

Solid State Member
I know I could have posted this in my last thread, but is A+ good enough for an entry-level help desk? What do employers look for? Just wondering.

A+, Net+, Any microsoft certification.

I usually tell people to get their A+ and Net+ or get their A+ and MCP in Windows 7.

Depending on the company and the support you will be providing. Most help desk companies will hire someone if they have their A+ and a little bit of experience. If you don't have any experience try getting more than your A+ - more is better.

A+, Net+, Any microsoft certification.

I usually tell people to get their A+ and Net+ or get their A+ and MCP in Windows 7.

Depending on the company and the support you will be providing. Most help desk companies will hire someone if they have their A+ and a little bit of experience. If you don't have any experience try getting more than your A+ - more is better.

What about with only a two-year degree (business) degree? just seeing if that is relevant with the question I have. So if I am able to get all those certs - will you recommend internship prior to applying if the company is willing to hire the help-desk (asking for experience) with those certs? do some hire downright with just certs and no exp? I was told experience is very important even with all the certs. My goal is to start from bottom and move on up with experience since I have no experience with computers. I feel certs are achievable.

Experience is king. Get an internship, apprenticeship, volunteer work, anything that you can. Entry level certs like A+ and Net+ as well as a degree can help make your resume look better, but they won't beat out practical experience.

Some help desk positions won't require experience, but others will.

Agree with the above poster - over everything else GOOD experience is usually required. Even on all of the help desk jobs i've seen online they all say 6+ months experience. Don't get me wrong, most will hire w/o any IT experience but the point is they generally require experience.

My first true IT job was at a help desk. I had my A+ and an MS exam under my belt and they hired me. I tailored my resume to show that i did do IT type work, but it was never in my job title.

Get those certifications and try to get some experience. Try interning, helping at your local community college, mom and pop hardware stores, ect. Anything helps.

A degree is also useful, my general idea of the hierarchy of IT and how important specific training / certs are:
1. Bachelor's degree
2. Microsoft / Cisco Certifications
3. Associates degree
4. CompTIA certifications (A+, Net+, Server+)

Last edited:
Agree with the above poster - over everything else GOOD experience is usually required. Even on all of the help desk jobs i've seen online they all say 6+ months experience. Don't get me wrong, most will hire w/o any IT experience but the point is they generally require experience.

My first true IT job was at a help desk. I had my A+ and an MS exam under my belt and they hired me. I tailored my resume to show that i did do IT type work, but it was never in my job title.

Get those certifications and try to get some experience. Try interning, helping at your local community college, mom and pop hardware stores, ect. Anything helps.

A degree is also useful, my general idea of the hierarchy of IT and how important specific training / certs are:
1. Bachelor's degree
2. Microsoft / Cisco Certifications
3. Associates degree
4. CompTIA certifications (A+, Net+, Server+)

Can you actually learn how to the experience without prior knowledge. as in do people teach these stuff at internships ,volunteer or all these self taught and exploration? i can take a test anytime by studying for it. its just books and notes. but actually knowing this and fixing is different.

I disagree, it's not. The books and certifications help you understand the technology and how to fix it.

Experience isn't just about the specific job you are doing, it's what you take away from it and what you learn from it. Just because most help desk positions just take phone calls to support software you can still build knowledge not only on the technology you are supporting, but methods on how better support that software. An example was at my old helpdesk position we did updates to the software by manually copying and pasting .xml and config files to specific locations on the server. We had to do this for hundreds of stores which weren't communicating properly with the update server. I create a script that copied the needed files to the proper locations. Simple example of not just sitting there doing a job because it pays my bills - you need to leverage your skills and better how you support your end users. A mindset like that will take you a long way in the IT world.

Back
Top Bottom