EE or CoE or CoE w/ CS

Status
Not open for further replies.

M4A1

Daemon Poster
I'm a soph in college right now, in the EE dept. The EE and CoE students here have the first two years the same, then we start to branch out. We all take similiar courses in Digital Logic, microprocessors, math, science, etc... Now..

I've been thinking about switching to CoE because the course list seems a little more interesting. My other question is - would a minor in CS or Math would more marketable. I know have one would be better than nothing, but if I wanted to get a job with Intel/AMD/TI/etc doing hardware design etc, probably the CS?

Get the minor that interests you most. It is unlikely that a college minor is going to be the deciding factor that lands you a job when you are competing with other candidates.

If you want to do hardware design, you might be better off sticking with EE. More important than deciding between EE and CE is getting real experience. If you can land an internship next summer doing hardware design, it will go a long way in landing you a full-time job in that field. You'll also learn more about it in the internship than in your coursework.

Instead of asking which courses will make you more marketable, ask yourself what courses will teach you the most about the career you wish to pursue. Take those courses. You may have to research the field a bit, but it's time well-spent.

I agree, but minors are important in some fields. For instance in order to get into one of the top grad schools for CS they want to make sure you are also very good in math. What better way to prove to them with a math minor which will also help you in the real world (Most of them recommend this, specially if you are coming from a lower school)? If you do not attend one of the top schools, then the math in the united states is just pathetic. Other countries think of math like a sport rather then a discipline. As a comparision most europeans learn senior undergrad level math when they are 15 years old.

then the math in the united states is just pathetic.
This is true for high schools, but not for undergrad universities.

As a comparision most europeans learn senior undergrad level math when they are 15 years old.
I don't believe that statement to be true, unless it's hyperbole. Source?

Oh ya, High Schools in America are pathetic, but that is set to change. Don't be so quick to think your country or continent is superior to any one else. I like to think that each person is responsible for themselves.

And yes, please provide a source, preferably one that has a sense of neutrality.

jaeusm said:
This is true for high schools, but not for undergrad universities.

I don't believe that statement to be true, unless it's hyperbole. Source?

My source is any european country??????

It is a fact for most european countries. The reason for this economically speaking is because these countries are mostly poor and so the career oppurtunities is limited. But you only need a piece of paper and a pencil to do math, so it becomes like a sport.

Just the reverse, the reason why the US is so pathetic in math is because there are so many career oppurtunities and everything is so diverse. This holds for all under grads as well as high school. In europe for instance france and germany (as well as many many more) it is essential that you take linear algebra, diff equations, abstract algebra, complex theory, and you're doing advanced calculus by the time you attend "high school." This is the reason why I say generally speaking europeans are doing senior level under grad math at the age of 15.

This is not an insult on the US, it is just a fact that many americans are not aware of the level of mathematics taught in under grad. I wish this was not the case because I personally think mathematics and specially structural mathematics is very important.

However, I do not think this will ever change because of the way american schools are setup.

jaeusm said:
Until you can validate your claims, I can't accept them as truth.

ok good.. Personally I do not believe any claims until I find out for myself, so I challenge you to lose your ignorance and travel to europe or you can ask anyone who was educated by the european system. I can tell that you have not attended a good school because if you did you would of been somewhat surrounded by europeans. This kind of thing is obvious.

No child left behind?? That is the #1 reason for the education level in the united states. You should be leaving behind all the kids who do not want anything to do with school. Instead of setting the standard to the dumbest kid in the class. It only hurts the kids who want to learn. This goes for mainly highschool and I have seen this in many colleges also.

I am not saying learning mathematics is the end of the world because if you're a software engineer working for NASA you do not need to know much math at all. You will be provided the math and all you will have to do is copy it into the language. This is generally true for any software engineering job.

ok good.. Personally I do not believe any claims until I find out for myself, so I challenge you to lose your ignorance and travel to europe or you can ask anyone who was educated by the european system.
It's unfortunate that you can't see the irony unfolding here.

I can tell that you have not attended a good school because if you did you would of been somewhat surrounded by europeans. This kind of thing is obvious.
I hope you're not a representative.

I am not saying learning mathematics is the end of the world because if you're a software engineer working for NASA you do not need to know much math at all. You will be provided the math and all you will have to do is copy it into the language.
Who were you calling ignorant?

I never disagreed about the US being behind other countries in mathematics performance for high school and middle school. However, I've disregarded most of what you said because of the outlandish claim that 15 year-old Europeans have acquired the same math skills as senior mathematics undergraduate students in the US. You have failed to provide any source to validate your claims. I'm also not sure why you've implicitly picked Europe, seemingly as the "leader of the pack" when, in fact, Asia outperforms Europe. Here's the study, it's an interesting read: http://www.air.org/news/documents/TIMSS_PISA math study.pdf

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom