Education For I.T, Associates in Networking Technolgy?

Bao231

Solid State Member
In all Honestly. Experience is what gets IT jobs. I myself have a B.S. in Computer Science, but What landed me my jobs was my internship as a network admin assistant. If anything go with the B.S. It will look better on a resume and you will enjoy the time you are there as well. I can honestly say though that i learned more in my first weeks at all the IT jobs i've had then I ever learned in school. Go to School+get summer internships+???=Profit. Certs Do help. Skip the A+. Any ITe employer would already expect a guy in the IT field to be able to pull apart a PC. Go for network+, Security+ Certs. Those will help. Anymore questions on anything please message me. I can help you through the processes.

In all Honestly. Experience is what gets IT jobs. I myself have a B.S. in Computer Science, but What landed me my jobs was my internship as a network admin assistant. If anything go with the B.S. It will look better on a resume and you will enjoy the time you are there as well. I can honestly say though that i learned more in my first weeks at all the IT jobs i've had then I ever learned in school. Go to School+get summer internships+???=Profit. Certs Do help. Skip the A+. Any ITe employer would already expect a guy in the IT field to be able to pull apart a PC. Go for network+, Security+ Certs. Those will help. Anymore questions on anything please message me. I can help you through the processes.

Hey man, right now I am working on a Network+. Then I plan on moving to Cisco certs. I also plan on interning and volunteering for I.T positions while working towards a Bachelors in Computer & Information Technology at East Carolina University.

If you dont mind, can you tell me how you got your intern?

Also, whats a typical Computer Science class like? I actually was going towards a Computer Science degree but I heard the Math is hard... That scared me a bit because Ive never been really good at Math. lol. Do you have to be some type of Mathematician or Computer geek to be successful in Computer Science? I know fundamental programming with C++.

Hey man, right now I am working on a Network+. Then I plan on moving to Cisco certs. I also plan on interning and volunteering for I.T positions while working towards a Bachelors in Computer & Information Technology at East Carolina University.

If you dont mind, can you tell me how you got your intern?

Also, whats a typical Computer Science class like? I actually was going towards a Computer Science degree but I heard the Math is hard... That scared me a bit because Ive never been really good at Math. lol. Do you have to be some type of Mathematician or Computer geek to be successful in Computer Science? I know fundamental programming with C++.

Not at all. The math Isn't bad. The highest I had to go was Calc. But then again every School and catalog is differen't. I have always loved computers since i was little so when I went into college with some knowledge, but as far as being a computer geek? Not at all. You do introduction classes. PC architecture 101, Intro to java 201. Etc. School is more reading and memorizing than anything. Hence why i say you learn a lot more on the Job. If you are who you say you are you will have no issues. I can say programming emphasis will be hard with no math and logical thinking skills. But networking requires little to no math. So I wouldn't sweat that.

I got my interns because luckily I had a friend who was the network admin lol. But I know a bunch of my fellow classmates get them by going to networking events, Applying online, being clubs(ACM, etc).

Not at all. The math Isn't bad. The highest I had to go was Calc. But then again every School and catalog is differen't. I have always loved computers since i was little so when I went into college with some knowledge, but as far as being a computer geek? Not at all. You do introduction classes. PC architecture 101, Intro to java 201. Etc. School is more reading and memorizing than anything. Hence why i say you learn a lot more on the Job. If you are who you say you are you will have no issues. I can say programming emphasis will be hard with no math and logical thinking skills. But networking requires little to no math. So I wouldn't sweat that.

Depends on if the CS program is accredited or not (mine was), and the individual school's requirements. I have a B.S. in CS as well, and I had to go up to Calc 2. Calc 2 / Discrete Math / Logic, Sets & Proofs were probably the hardest for me - and by no means am I that good at math either. I averaged C's in all my math courses lol. But, I managed A's and B's in all of my CS classes, which mostly consisted of programming projects. My school did C++ as its primary teaching language, but later on in higher-level courses we got to switch to whatever language we wanted, so I decided to switch to C# (now my primary language at home and work). So really, you shouldn't let the math scare you. There's going to be some tough classes depending on where you are, yeah, but you just gotta power through 'em and it'll be worth it in the end.

But like Reapt said, most of the learning is on-the-job. I learned most of what I know about computers back in high school, working at a computer shop repairing them. Then, as I went to college I got a job in the university's IT department, and then from there (still as a student) got an IT job in a corporate environment from an international business based in the city I was in. Now, however, I switched jobs a bit from IT and got a job as a software developer with my state's government, just this past January (graduated in December).

I have to agree with everyone else here. I graduated this past December with a B.S. in Computer Engineering,(not much different than CS.) I would am definitely not a math genius and averaged a C in most of my math courses, but did fine in the Computer classes which consisted mostly of programming and some theory that was basic memorization. My highest my was Numerical Linear Algebra. I took Calc 1,2, Vector, and differential equations. It is possible to make it without being a math wiz. I may have taken Calc 2 multiple times, but my math foundations from high school was awful.

If you do the program at East Carolina that you linked the math is pretty basic. A CS will usually involve more math, but it is DEFINITELY doable!

Back
Top Bottom