Don't know what to do!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Defensor_fortis

Beta member
I'm considering going to school and starting a career in the IT field. I have no experience. I was thinking about starting out and getting my AAS Networking, but judging from everyone's replies that doesn't sound like a good idea. Any advice?

AS and certs can get you entry-level consideration. A degree and/or certs can get your foot in the door. If you really want to work in the IT field, go for a BS and take semesters off here and there for internships.

Years ago there was a serious lack of IT tallent. For a generation or two everyone was told "to do something with computers". Here we are 10 years later and we are faced with an impending market surplus.

If you want work, plan now to blow everyone else out of the water.

Thanks for the advice. So I guess it's not as bad as I hear. So I should forget about going to a place like DeVry and getting my Associates in Networking? I should go straight for my BS? Do internships pay? Sorry about the dumb questions but I've been out of the military for a few years and I'm still trying to find a career for myself. I don't really know much about the IT field and how it works.

Defensor_fortis said:
Thanks for the advice. So I guess it's not as bad as I hear.
Things are really bad, but if you are prepared, its no big deal ;)

So I should forget about going to a place like DeVry and getting my Associates in Networking? I should go straight for my BS? Do internships pay?
Yes. Yes. Sometimes. DeVry has worked for a lot of people, but getting an entry level job or internship is cheaper and more effective. As things get more competitive, sure things are turning in to, well, nothing.

Sorry about the dumb questions but I've been out of the military for a few years and I'm still trying to find a career for myself. I don't really know much about the IT field and how it works.
You may want to leverage that. I don't know what you did in the military, but there is a good chance you can use that as a symbiotic point when applying for a job. For example, I have two retial managers on my staff, and I insist that they keep their jobs. What they learn at their jobs helps them do a better job for me. They can manage employees, help solve customer satisfaction issues, etc... I also have a receptionist for someone else on staff. Why? Who is going to help me design software for use by a receptionist better than a receptionist?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom