does where you get your degree really matter?

Status
Not open for further replies.

elitesoldier

In Runtime
So im a senior in high school and doing all the college planning. Many people say they are going to a four year university (ie. stanford, universities of california etc.) because its a more "creditable" college. However i considered not trying to go through such a rigourus college and instead going to a community college for two years and then to a california state university (one level lower than universities of california) for the following reasons. 1) its substancially cheaper 2) it doesn't matter how "creditable" the college is as it seems like most companies won't care. Oh yea, im gonna be studying CS, CE or EE (still deciding lol)

Heres how the college system works in CA:
1) private schools (harvard, yale stanford etc.) (---other ppl going here for four years.
2) universities of california (UCLA, UCI etc.) (---other ppl going here for four years.
3) California state universities (Cal state: fullerton, Cal state poly etc.) (---transefering to one of these schools after two years of communiy college
4) Community collegs (----planning to start two years here

So im wondering, does it really matter where you get your degree from when applying for a job? For example someone with a CS degree from UCLA will get payed more and/or more likly to get the job as opposed to someone who gets their CS degree from Cal state: fullerton?

I think it matters a lot. Specially in CS, EE, CE. I didnt know there were any 2 year programs for these majors. In my opinon, I have watched many people graduate with 2 year computer degrees, and they end up working at a cable company etc. I dont think 2 year degrees are credible at all in the industry.

You would be much better going to a 4 year school and sticking it out. You will end up with a decent realistic job.

I live in New Zealand and am about to finish a year diploma course, I've already been offered a full time job next year when I finish, and I dont know if this helps, but even with my little 1 year course I've managed to get a pretty decent job working part time at the moment and shift into full time upon completion of my diploma. So maybe you can also work part time during those 4 years/ 2 years at a computer related place which in turn will result in a good job.

So no, I dont think it really matters personally where you get your diploma/degree from. It depends on the person you are, and the experience and skills that you possess.

By the way, whats EE? Electrical Engineering?

The US is a lot different then new zealand education and job wise. Its such a cut throat enviroment in the US job market.

i would worry more about getting some actual job experience than where you graduate from.

Which school is not NEAR as important as the experience--

Try to get an internship with a company while attending school; lots of the bigger guys will happily hire you on later--they then know your qualified and you already know the ins/outs...and some of the time, they'll pay part (or if your lucky, in its entirity) of your college costs.

Thats true to some extent. Although if you graduate from a more repuable college you will get better job offers at places that wouldnt consider you if you were at a state school etc. I consider all public colleges to be the same in this field, only difference would be private schools are way more repuable, and I do think you could get a way better job atleast starting out. Which would get you the vast experience.

I have been thinking about this a lot latly. I have seen so many people graduate with computer science degrees from public colleges and they end up getting the medicore starting job 40-50k, then I have friends graduating from private schools that get out making 70-80k working for big corporations in a high level position. It really makes you think.

hmmm yea i see.

The community college thing works by doing 2 years at the community college (getting credits for your major) Then you transefer to the california state school and those credits come with you, as if you took them at the cal state. Then when you finish your 4 year degree you get a degree from the cal state school.

elitesoldier said:
hmmm yea i see.

The community college thing works by doing 2 years at the community college (getting credits for your major) Then you transefer to the california state school and those credits come with you, as if you took them at the cal state. Then when you finish your 4 year degree you get a degree from the cal state school.

Yeah I have heard a lot of people do this for many reasons money, easier work, etc. The thing you have to watch out for is many colleges/uni's dont accept credits from these community colleges that are major related. They expect you to do all your major classes at the uni/college and most of them accept all the basic classes, like english, history, etc. But even some of those will get denied. From my experience its just better going with the uni/college all 4 years. Besides the point I just made, you will also meet ppl, get to know professors in your field of study etc. It will make your life a lot easier, starting out at groundzero.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom