Which direction would suit me best?

ls2gto

Beta member
Hello all! I'm in an interesting position in life right now, and in the future I have quite a few directions I could take. I'd certainly appreciate some input from people working out in the real world!

Anyway, about myself, I am currently in the United States Navy as an IT, getting ready to start my "C" school. I have a degree from the Art Institute of Pittsburgh in Game Art & Design. While it is a few years in the future for me, when my enlistment in up I have quite a few options in front of me.With the education and security clearance we receive, I've heard of people leaving the Navy IT field and getting very lucrative government jobs. I also have a Montgomery GI Bill and Post 9/11 bill to pay for more schooling.

I'm not quite sure what direction I want to go in yet. I'd like to get a degree broad enough that will open me up to both Game Design jobs and make use of my IT education. Something that will cover both disciplines to give me a wider pool of jobs. I've considered computer science, IT, computer engineering, software engineering, and entertainment design masters as possible directions I could go in. But it is all still very much up in the air for me. Does anyone have any advice on what would give me the most bang for my buck degree wise?

Can't go wrong with any STEM field. STEM meaning Science, Technology, Engineering or Mathematics. At this point if you get a degree in any other field you MAY not get a great return on investment. IE people complain because they have a bachelors in entertainment management yet they can't get a job and wonder why.

If you are going to go into school and get a true 4 year degree from an accredited university i would suggest going into Engineering or Computer Science.

If you want something that will broaden your search I would definitely say go for a degree in computer science. It'll give you such a good base of information that you will be able to utilize that no matter what job you really want. Good luck with your decision!

Back
Top Bottom