Desktop Support Diploma

Status
Not open for further replies.
Experience counts for more than anything else, really.

If I were you, I'd just whore myself out on craigslist until I had some experience and then go to a staffing agency.

EDIT: OR you could go somewhere like New Horizons because they will teach you and place you. HOWEVER!!!!! Do NOT get suckered into paying for the full course! ONLY take A+ and Net+ because whatever company you go with will pay for the rest of your training!!!

Not true. I have over a dozen years of experience. Yet i still cant get hired as a desktop tech.

It is also not true that the company you get placed with will train you the rest of the way. There are many places that wont pay for your M$ Certs.

Placing yourself on Craig's list might make you money. But it will never get you a real job. I know. I have been doing it for several years now. I get passed over for every IT job cause of the fact i dont have any Certs on paper. Yet i can out smart most of their IT people.

Not true. I have over a dozen years of experience. Yet i still cant get hired as a desktop tech

Where do you look? I have only 1 year of professional experience and I got picked up as a Jr. Network Admin with my current company.

And also, it is true that SOME places will not pay for more training, but even big guys like Cisco will get you your CCNA (of course they can do it in house).

If you do have marketable experience go with someone like Manpower Professional or Robert Half Technology.

Manpower runs more like a Mac store, in my experience, much easier to get along with and very efficient.

Robert Half runs more like Windows, buggy, stuck up, rigid and inefficient.

HOWEVER Robert Half does have a few thousand (yes THOUSAND) placement tests which are third-party quizes about any and all subjects. Plus they don't give you a decimal score. They give you a percentage score. So even if you only get half of them right you may still be in the top 75%, which looks REALLY good on a resume.

My guys over at Manpower just have WAAAYYY more connections and WAAAYYY better relationships with all the companies in this area.

I have looked at almost every Temp agency and online job source. I have gone thru Manpower already. I have tried several others as well. All to no avail.

So it could very well be the region you are in as well. Cause some places are hurting for IT people while other places are not.

I'm right there w/ you Mak. Difference is every single placement agency (Teksystems, Robert Half, KForce) will not place you if you don't have experience. Doesn't matter what certifications you have or how well versed you are in IT. I've spoken and interviewed with placement reps in every one of those companies (and a few others) and they all say unless you have experience they won't hire you.

That is why you can get the jobs. I am in a suburb of Buffalo and there is no dire need for tech's around here. Even with my many years of experience, with my MVP and with my Certs. A+ and Net+. None of this has helped me get a job in my area cause the need for trained IT people is far less here than it is in other parts of the country.

I am sure if i was near where you are i would be working without much of a issue.

Without knowing the geographic location of the people we cant make statements that it is easy to get a job in IT. Cause it isnt always true. While you find it easy there are 2 others that replied here alone that cant get a IT job for nothing.

I am glad you have that opportunity. But sadly many of us have to take even more measures with getting the Certs for MCP, MCDST, MCSE, MCSA by ourselves to be able to have such a opportunity.

Perhaps you should consider moving then...

I had a friend move down from Iowa (exciting!) because he wanted to get into videogaming. After being here less than a year he's got a job with Epic.

LOL, I delivered pizza to Red Storm and shot with them at the range when they released GRAW 2

RTP/RDU is a great place!

Oh i have considered it. But at this time it is not a option. ;)

Mak, I understand your situation, but if you can get somewhere where you can show your stuff, you will excel and I hope that some day that you can. You are an extremely knowledgeable M$ person, as well as all-around nice guy. Good luck no matter what happens !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom