Desktop or Laptop for University?

Status
Not open for further replies.

IfYouHaveToAsk

In Runtime
Hi, i'm going to study Computer Science at Bristol university in september. I need either a Laptop or a desktop to take with me. Now i'm happy with all the technology itself since i've been building and using PCs for ages. However I would like to know what is more practical at university.

Laptops are obviously more mobile and take up less space, where as desktops are cheaper and have more upgrade options.

For those of you who have or are currently studying a computer related course at college/uni, what do you have and what do you recommend. Is it a real help to have a mobile computer to take to tutorials/lectures etc or do you find that you use the computing facilities of the department and just use your computer when you go back to your residence.

thanks in advance.

Hello,

I'm about to finish my second year of A Levels, and in September I too should be off to University to study Computer Science.

I bought an HP nx7300 laptop (specs in my signature) in february to use at college, and even though my college has more than adequate ICT facilities, I've found it to be very useful for both my ICT and Business Studies coursework, note taking, and research. I personally would recommend getting a laptop instead of a desktop PC.

As for recommendations, it depends on what you want. What is your budget? Do want to use it for gaming as well as for studies, or mainly for listening to music, research, surfing the net, typing documents etc...? For studying, I personally would go for a laptop with long battery life, somewhat lightweight and with a 15.4" screen or less for portability.

looks like it will be laptop, thanks for the suggestions.

Yeah, I was recently through this and can tell you from experience.

I started out having a desktop computer, but needed a laptop to take notes in school - but the thing to note is the classes in which the laptop was used were all non-CS courses - they were the general requirements. Anyway, I like gaming, so I thought I'd be smart and buy a top-of-the-line laptop and sell my desktop.

So I did. $2000 HP 17" laptop. But as you might guess...7.3 lb was a bit heavy to lug around, and it was so big it that it was a hassle to maneuver in-class. But I was kind of expecting this - I bought it from Costco - they have a 90 day no questions asked warranty, so it made returning it no-problemo. A funny thing though, even though this laptop had parts that were equal to or better then the desktop I previously had - it sucked for games. External screens would lag, and even the attached screen...it just couldn't keep up. Not even half the settings.

After returning the huge laptop, I just did what should've been obvious from the start - rebuilt a desktop for gaming, and bought a small (12.1", 4lb laptop) for taking notes in school. If you're a gamer and this is an option for you, I'd HIGHLY recommend doing this. The laptop is the perfect size for carting around in my backpack, taking notes, and write the occasional programs for CS while waiting for other classes. Then when I get home, I use the desktop for gaming, writing programs, etc.

But yeah, if it's one or the other...for CS courses, laptops are unnecessary (so much theory / logic drawing, unless you're fast and good with Paint!)...but it's great for doing homework between classes, and taking notes in the other classes. (I haven't taken direct theory classes in CS yet - maybe those will bring the need...but for now, my notebook and pen are superior.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom