Degrees with "cyber security" atached to them name..Have any of you hired someone with one or gotten a job with one?

Kevinras121

Beta member
Degrees with "cyber security" atached to them name..Have any of you hired someone with one or gotten a job with one?

I've researched around and there are some groups that say that the "cyber security degree" sensation is a fad..another way for universities to get money. Indeed that there are many security positions open..however, they require years of experiance + certifications. How accurate is this?

Re: Degrees with "cyber security" atached to them name..Have any of you hired someone with one or gotten a job with one?

Degrees in general are a dying fad imo. Most recruiters take work experience in lieu of a degree and I've found that usually people with work experience have more a pertinent, real-world understanding of the job, rather than just the fundamental concepts or general studies courses they teach and require for most degrees.

On the other hand, certain jobs require a degree in a relating field so it would not only be worth it to get a degree but it would also be necessary to pursue a career in that field. These requirements could be completely dependent on the recruiter or company. Any one avenue you choose in the "degree vs experience and certifications" will not allow you to qualify for every job out there.

Where I see a degree being very important is for a role in programming, software development, and software engineering. Advanced math is difficult for many people to learn without a structured teaching environment due to so many mathematical concepts building off of previously learned concepts.

But for most of the flavors of IT, I believe certifications and work experience are good enough if not better than a degree.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom