degree in it-networking

mhd381

Beta member
Hello,

I have recently decided to go back to school. I am looking into a few different programs. I'm torn currently between an associates of applied science in either telecommunication technology or it-networking. I can see the potential of either. My first question is if a prospective employer is even going to consider an employee with only an A.A.S degree these days? My second, someone with either or similar degrees care to share about them, and the benefits of different programs. Any kind of follow up information would be appreciated.

I don't have a degree in Telecom or Networking, i have a BS is Management - so i can't help much there.

But i will say that employers look highly upon degree's no adays. Today there are a TON of people trying to get in IT or wanting IT careers, so you need to do everything possible to give yourself a foot up on the competition.

I look on the job boards alot. Earlier today I saw employers ask for two year degrees and experience or a 4 year degree. My two cents: if you went the networking route, you should definitely try to get certified by Cisco. That combination and any kind of simple desktop/helpdesk IT experience should help you get you started in the right direction.

Hay I associate degree is good to have. If going into the tech field in those two years I would also study and pass network +, security + and A+. They will deffinantly give you a leg up from all the other people graduating. They really show you know your stuff.
skylark

I think a degree in anything honestly will be ok. Just make sure you have the certifications to back it up. I have seen employers higher people with degrees in something non IT related if they have the certifications. But I would choose the networking degree.

Back
Top Bottom