Deciding with my Major....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kdar

Daemon Poster
So... Before my major was Computer Science (well its still is, but I plan to change it)..

C++ and programmings in general just didn't work out for me... First of all I don't have that huge knowledge in programming (and even material that I learned didn't come to me too easily)..
And also..Right now.. I seriously don't picture it as my future job. Or at the one which I will enjoy.

So.. I thinking to change my major to something else... Possibly some kind of engineering.

My college offers..

aerospace engineering
mechanical engineering
chemical engineering
civil engineering
computer engineering
electrical engineering
industrial and systems engineering
optical engineering

--

I possibly looking at Computer and Electrical engineering...

But what the rest of you think? Especially people with engineering degree.

First of all I don't have that huge knowledge in programming
That's why you're in school -- to gain that knowledge and to keep learning.
Computer engineering still requires quite a bit of programming.

No one can answer your question but you. Only you know what really interests you. Do what you like best.

That's why you're in school -- to gain that knowledge and to keep learning.
Computer engineering still requires quite a bit of programming.

No one can answer your question but you. Only you know what really interests you. Do what you like best.

yea. And I have some knowledge in programming. But.....after having few classes in CS (like C++ Data Structures, which is like 3rd C++ course)..
I am 100% sure that its not for me.

And if think.... Programming I could learn on my own... But engineering.. not.

Actually, you could learn either on your own. Software engineering is developing software using the engineering design process.

Here they don't teach Software Engineering...

I think I posted what they do...

Here Computer Science degree is as close as it gets to Software Engineering.

The rest is mostly hardware engineering (computer, electrical etc..)

Right, but in industry you'd work as a software engineer.

I know. And I didn't posted this topic for you to tell me this.

I just think, after taking few CS class, that this major is not for me.

So I thinking to change my major to one of those... Which deal more with hardware, then Software.

aerospace engineering
mechanical engineering
chemical engineering
civil engineering
computer engineering
electrical engineering
industrial and systems engineering
optical engineering

So. Which one of those above.. Would be a good choice?
In terms of money, amount of jobs etc..

I know. And I didn't posted this topic for you to tell me this.
No need for the attitude.

In terms of jobs and money, check the job boards (dice.com, monster.com, etc.) for your area. That would be a far better indicator than what anyone else here could post. The bottom line is that engineering jobs pay well and are in demand. You need to choose the field you like best. If you think computer science is too difficult, you may not want to pursue engineering because it is more difficult.

In terms of jobs and money, check the job boards (dice.com, monster.com, etc.) for your area. That would be a far better indicator than what anyone else here could post. The bottom line is that engineering jobs pay well and are in demand. You need to choose the field you like best. If you think computer science is too difficult, you may not want to pursue engineering because it is more difficult.

I don't want computer science.. Because I want some major that use less programming. Less focus on programming.
So one of those hardware engineering sounds like a good choice for me.

Computer engineering has a lot of programming like someone said earlier. I was in computer engineering my first year but decided to switch over to MIS. Obviously all engineering has a lot of math, more than I realized, and is a lot tougher than I anticipated. One of my roommates for next year (living in an apartment) is going to grad school for electrical engineering and the stuff he has to remember is crazy. He has a high GPA and does 6+ hours of homework and studying a night, so if you're not willing to put in that much time I wouldn't suggest computer engineering or electrical because I know those two require the most work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom