Data Mining

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's good to have intelligent discussions about topics such as this. First, all these "personal" comments related to the other person's qualifications and such are totally irrelevant. You guys don't know each other personally, and can at best "guess". Just let the content/quality of the posts describe the author.

And you have to understand each other - obviously. For example, with respect to this argument about databases, are we speaking of "data mining" from a pure "theortical" viewpoint or from a "practical" viewpoint? etc. etc. etc. :).

From a pure theortical point of view a database is not required. But from a practical point of view the need for one is measured by the oppurtunity cost of not having one. I have worked on many projects that if we were to create a database it would be wasted effort as the solution to the problem was right around the corner. Sure, it would have been nice to have the database for testing purposes, but the cost of having one would exceed the benefit. However, if the project required working with a very large data set, then obviously a database would be an obvious solution.

But the actual practice of data mining really has nothing to do with a database, it just a complement that you could use with data mining. Just as a computer would be a complement to data mining, however I would not try this :).

The discussion became irrelevant when he started talking about basic biology that he learned in an 8th grade biology class. This has absolutly nothing to do with data mining.

As what I said, the genetic structure etc, is testable using these data mining techniques from a local stand point.

Sure you could just as easily test the global structure of genomes to evolutionary patterns, but why? When everything sequenced is already public knowledge. This was already done a long time ago.

That's a negative. I learned biology and microbiology first at a State college and later from two professors at Cal Tech: definitely not the 8th grade.

In the interests of accuracy, you should stop beating that drum even though it seems to bring you joy. Not to be rude, as you have been, but I really don't think you are emotionally mature enough or intellectually prepared to have a serious discussion on that topic in my opinion. Because of that context, I wouldn't even if there was a genuine interest for it.

As a wise man once said, "When I was a child I spake as a child but not that I am a man I put aside childish things."

Good advice.

Now that stated, I accept your last post and concede the discussion regarding databases being essential. I think you've proved that point. I didn't expect you to tantrum however.

Now go do something good and have a great day :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom