Is this A+ Course exspensive? It includes certification.

Status
Not open for further replies.

KCRMYZ

Banned
CompTIA A+ (5-Day Package) $2,695.00 -view schedule-

What do you guys think, its all done online.

$2,600 is an insulting price to ask someone to pay for a single certification class (only 5 days???), considering you can buy a book ($75 max) and a voucher ($200 max) and teach yourself and then take the exam(s).

You could even check your community college for an A+ oriented class, if you absolutely must have in-class instruction to learn. My community college offered the class (it was called "Managing and Troubleshooting PCs", and our textbook was a Mike Meyers CompTIA A+ book, and we used a simulator called TestOut).

The department created the class around A+ since there is such a demand. Many other colleges are doing the same thing (offering the class but not officially naming it A+). The class was a few hundred bucks plus a lab fee plus the book plus the simulator. All together it couldn't have been more than $500, but I don't remember exactly since it was one of the earlier classes I took (plus mommy and daddy paid). IMO, the book was the most valuable, as the professor just lectured on basics and history that I had already known for years. The simulator... well... simulated real world situations, and we were asked to troubleshoot them. Some ran a Windows simulator, others were hardware simulations. It gave some practical knowledge, but in all honesty, I already knew 90% of the stuff it taught.

If you really wanted to blow money, you could get the complete TestOut library for under $2000. That includes something like 10 certification education programs (which include on-computer training, lab-simulations, and exams [not the actual exams though]). They have a list of all the certifications their material covers (A+, Net+, Security+, etc...). They do work, as I've used them in 2 different classes (A+, Net+). You could probably find the material cheaper through your college bookstore though. I think I paid something like $75 for my A+ TestOut disk (costs $600 through them directly). It would be all you would ever need if you ever wanted to prep at home.

$2,600 is an insulting price to ask someone to pay for a single certification class (only 5 days???), considering you can buy a book ($75 max) and a voucher ($200 max) and teach yourself and then take the exam(s).

You could even check your community college for an A+ oriented class, if you absolutely must have in-class instruction to learn. My community college offered the class (it was called "Managing and Troubleshooting PCs", and our textbook was a Mike Meyers CompTIA A+ book, and we used a simulator called TestOut).

The department created the class around A+ since there is such a demand. Many other colleges are doing the same thing (offering the class but not officially naming it A+). The class was a few hundred bucks plus a lab fee plus the book plus the simulator. All together it couldn't have been more than $500, but I don't remember exactly since it was one of the earlier classes I took (plus mommy and daddy paid). IMO, the book was the most valuable, as the professor just lectured on basics and history that I had already known for years. The simulator... well... simulated real world situations, and we were asked to troubleshoot them. Some ran a Windows simulator, others were hardware simulations. It gave some practical knowledge, but in all honesty, I already knew 90% of the stuff it taught.

If you really wanted to blow money, you could get the complete TestOut library for under $2000. That includes something like 10 certification education programs (which include on-computer training, lab-simulations, and exams [not the actual exams though]). They have a list of all the certifications their material covers (A+, Net+, Security+, etc...). They do work, as I've used them in 2 different classes (A+, Net+). You could probably find the material cheaper through your college bookstore though. I think I paid something like $75 for my A+ TestOut disk (costs $600 through them directly). It would be all you would ever need if you ever wanted to prep at home.

What happens if you fail the test "Do not pass", do you still have to pay a reoccurring 200 dollars per test?

Also, I'm only Fifteen and I'm looking to start early on my certifications being fifteen can I still take courses at a University? There are numerous universities down here because this is Atlanta.

Thanks for all the help. Although my school offers this program I'm sure going on my own for Certifications would be best.

http://www.graysonhighschool.org/us...df?PHPSESSID=33e7aef194005b75da92d0a699a5d712

being fifteen can I still take courses at a University?

As a dual credit student.

You may have to take a placement exam like the thea, but, even if you do, its not that hard to simply pass, which is all they'd expect.

15 and worried about taking courses at a university, yet your willing to dish out over 2 grand for an A+ Cert?! AHHHH.

word of advice, dont do it! honestly its easy peasy! I just got certified on the new objectives on halloween, just read alot and take alooott of practice questions. THATS ALL...

please for the love of god, do not spend over 2 grand on a A+ cert!

A+ isn't even worth it. (Unless your job/school is paying for it)
Only reason I have it, is because it was free through my school.

If I had to pay for it on my own, I wouldn't have...

No kidding. I'm taking it right now for free through a school as well.

The only thing you can hope to gain out of this is the actual certificate.

The course itself is a load of crap. No way I would've paid 2 grand for this.

I am new in IT but I just did a quick research and I found quiet a few organizations offer free A plus certification training...

Here's one located in New York... Per Scholas :: Training

so I agree with gloomer and ste... I don't think it's worth spending money for such certification.

I am new in IT but I just did a quick research and I found quiet a few organizations offer free A plus certification training...

Here's one located in New York... Per Scholas :: Training

so I agree with gloomer and ste... I don't think it's worth spending money for such certification.

Do you know by any chance where there would be one in Georgia, or how I could search for one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom