couple questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

COD2_fanatic

Daemon Poster
Ok, I'm a Sophmore in high school right now. I have a high interest in working on computers themselves, as for networking them my knowledge goes no further than setting up a basic home network.

My hopes of getting in to college arent exactly high (because i havent taken 2 years (or one for that matter) of forgein language), and since my school doesnt offer anything with computers beyond stuff like Microsoft Word and crap i am going to a Vocational School (Vo Tech) next year to further my computer knowledge than what it is now.

I'm just wondering, what should I be looking at in the future, do colleges allow you to take language classes while enrolled? (i want German and all my school offers is Spanish (I hate spanish, which means i would do poorly in the class, so why take when i'll fail it). If all else fails i could look into getting in with my dad (works for Norfolk Southern (track maintenance).

Have i ruined my options or what? Is Vo tech a bad thing?

College admissions are largely a sham. It really doesn't matter if you have taken any high school CS courses. When you get to college, you'll be taught from the ground up. When you get your first job as a professional after college, that's when the real learning begins.

ok, that gives me a bit of hope, but whats CS? i keep seeing it but havent figured out the meaning.

On a side note, i see you live in Ohio as well.

No need to worry about technology-oriented courses. Just stick to your path. jaesum is correct about the admission process. Those looking over your application will not know anything about the computer sciences courses you've taken/have not taken. They're solely there to base you on concrete numbers (GPA, SAT scores, class rank). Do not let them get in your way.

As far as languages go, try taking one over at a community college near you? I know that some of my friends did that, and it even got them college credit! (in addition to HS credit, so you might be able to kill two birds with one stone!)

Remember -- Just do well on the SATs, have a decent class rank (to me, this # means nothing about your academic abilities/personality/etc.), and most importantly, a decent GPA. Also, some extra-circular activities won't hurt.

Also, some helpful acronyms:

EE or EEng = electrical engineer or electrical engineering
CoE or Comp. Eng = computer engineering

Good luck, :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom